I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

special considerations for a +T handle rod?
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:14PM

I am starting a rod with a telescoping handle. Other than wrapping the joint area with thread, like a ferrule on a 2pc rod, are there any other different or special considerations I need to be aware of? How far down should the wrap go... 1 inch, 1.5 inch, more? Also, do I need to prep the inside of the joint area with anything? Perhaps debur the inside portion of the handle?

Thanks for the help, I'd rather not have any surprises!

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: special considerations for a +T handle rod?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:16PM

One thing is to make sure that your first guide does not hit the handle section at the joint, when the rod is collapsed. Even if it means moving it off your static test a little bit.
No need to prep inside handle. Be careful not to allow epoxy to run down inside the handle ,as it will effect the way the two parts join when extended. Wrapping 1/2inch down the outer joint is plenty. Anything past that depends on your personal taste, and any accents your are wanting to create.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:25PM

Keith,
Yes, I would wrap the end of the butt section. But if it is a flipping stick that you are building the butt sections of these are pretty stout and there is little danger of it splitting so an inch or so of wrap is fine. Again if it is a flipping stick blank then no you do not need to do anything to the inside surface of the butt section.
As far as other considerations are concerned, it is very easy to put the first guide on so that when you slide the tip into the handle section the first guide hits the butt section. I can still remember doing this on the first one of these that I built years ago. I usually epoxy a piece of scrap graphite blank into the butt section about an inch or so and then put a piece of rubber or EVA on the tip of this for the end of the tip section to hit against when the tip section is slide down into the butt section.
One additional thing that you might want to check is that the two pieces fit well. You can check this by sliding the tip section out until it is fully extended but not tight and then shake the blank and check that you do not feel any clicking where the tip is moving inside of the butt piece.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:31PM

Steve,
You and I must have been typing at the same time.

Keith,
The original reason for these two piece flipping sticks was because fishermen wanted rods that were longer than the rod lockers in the early bass boats. Unless your rod locker is shorter than the length of the flipping stick that you want then there is not reason in my judgement to build one that is two piece. In fact, they do not make as good a rod as a one piece rod for several reasons the main reason though is weight. All of the two piece flipping sticks are heavier than a one piece of equivalent power will be.

Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 10:54PM

Yes, my preference would have been one piece, but until they were delivered, I didn't know they were +T blanks. I got them so cheap that they will make great give aways to brothers and friends... and I get to practice building more rods! I just want to be sure I take any necessary steps/precautions building them... it will work out well since all of my brothers have cars they will have to carry them in. (may have been a blessing in disguise actually)

Thanks for the tips... I probably wouldn't have thought to pad the inside of the butt, or measuerd the collaping distance for the butt guide!

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster