I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Not enough hardner - any remedies?
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 04:08PM

That's pretty normal for a pre-shaped grip.

Putter
Williston, ND

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 05:19PM

Jeff, the thread has been quite interesting and I thank you for asking the original question. We have all learned quite a few things. Now I have one more question. Did you install a reel seat on a blank the first thing. If I read your last post correctly you then installed the cork piece from the butt end of the rod by enlarging the hole so the cork would fit over the biggest end of the blank. Is that correct? Please clarify the correct sequence of putting the seat and cork on the blank. Putter, this may be another opportunity for a complete rethinking of the goal of this thread.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 05:28PM

In haste at work, I never caught that, Bill...yeah, unless it's a fly rod, might need to speak about taper reaming to fit and the proper method and order of fitting rear grip, reel seat and arbors, then foregrip, eh???

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 05:30PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Jeff Duncan (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 09:54PM

After reaming the handle grip out I slipped it over the narrow end of the rod and slid it down to the butt (fly rod). I didn't know how else it could be done. Once the guides are on there is no way to get the grip on unless you put the reel seat on last. I am following the sequence in the instructions and in Garcia's book. Is this the correct sequence?
Jeff

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 10:24PM

Most cork rings are bored with a quarter inch hole, but you can get them that are drilled larger if you look hard.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 25, 2006 10:39PM

Jeff,
We will be releasing a product very soon that will all but totally eliminate the need to measure, weigh or otherwise dispense equal parts of epoxy resin and hardener. This product will be the first of it's kind in the rodbuilding industry, and will solve the problem you and others have experienced with lesser forms of measuring and metering resins.

In addition, our new system totally eliminates wasted excess epoxy, as well as the nasty cleanup job that sometimes follows.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 25, 2006 11:04PM

Yeah, Jeff, I'll answer your question for you. On a fly rod, you did just fine. That's the way to do it.

Putter

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 26, 2006 09:16AM

Jeff,

Rod parts aren't supplied like plastic model kits - it's very common to have to do quite a bit of work in order to get things to fit. Most seats and/or grips are only supplied in 2 bore sizes, and as you know, rod blanks come in hundreds of different butt diameters.

5-minute epoxy is more than adequate for use in many rod building chores. My only caution would be that since it sets so quickly, you have to really be careful that you have done a bit of a "dress-rehersal" before you actually apply the adhesive and get things underway. More than one builder using 5-minute epoxy has slid his parts in place, only to find something a bit out of alignment, or not fitting perfectly, and then found the epoxy to have set to the point where the pieces could not be moved any further. Be careful when using the stuff - it doesn't allow you time to make any mistakes.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster