I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap Question
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:29AM

I am well aware of the advantages for the spiral wrap rod, What I would like clarified is if there is an advantage to the spiral wrap on a saltwater rod that is going to be used in a gimble either stand up or in a chair. I have some one who wants me to build them a light tackle Sailfish rod and I was thinking of doing the spiral but I need to know how to sell it to them. Thanks as always. Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap Question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:55AM

The same advantages apply. Part of the reason for using a gimbal, is to keep the rod from twisting. With the spiral wrap, you can often just dispense with the gimbal - you won't need it any longer. The only time you may wish to keep it regards the use of a rod for trolling in a holder where you want to be able to position the rod a certain way. Discuss these things with your customer.

Remember, the greater the expected load on the rod (the larger the quarry) the greater the benefits of the spiral wrap will be.

Re: Spiral Wrap Question
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:17PM

Also, a lighter class trolling rod has a tip that is more prone to internal twisting (wringing like a washcloth) than a heavier class rod.

The gimbal stops the roll-over of the reel, but the gimbal does not stop the internal twisting of the rod blank. If you put a gimbal on a rod and do NOT spiral wrap it, that actually INCREASES the rod blank's exposure to the internal twisting effect. This effect is greatest when a fish runs to the right or to the left of the rod blank.

A Spiral Wrap (any one of them) helps to reduce this internal twist. A Spiral Wrap ESPECIALLY reduces the rod's ROLL-OVER effect, almost entirely eliminating it. You can still use a gimbal - to keep the rod & reel from rocking back and forth in the rod holder while trolling. And, IMO, you should install a nice gimbal on a trolling rod (and provide a protective rubber cover). But you wouldn't need a gimbal on a Spiral Wrap rod any more than you would need one on a trolling spinning rod.

If you have the AUGUST 2005 issue of RodMaker Magazine [RMM-8(4)], there is an excellent article on this subject by Tom Kirkman - "SPIRAL WRAP DEMO DEVICE". Not only does it tell you how to make one. The pictures of the demonstration say it all. Back Issues are available at [www.rodmakermagazine.com] for $7. Small price to pay for such a persuasive salemanship tool. -Cliff Hall+++

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2006 09:35PM by Cliff Hall.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster