I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

National Rod Builders Show Vendor Opportunity
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:13AM

As we approach the date for the world's largest rod building gathering, I'm going to once again give the vendors a chance to make announcements as to what they will be offering at the event, special deals, new product releases, etc. This thread will remain a "sticky" for the remainder of the day. We'll do it once more in a couple weeks. Here again is the list of vendors who have bought booth space at the upcoming 2006 event on February 25 &26.

Anglers Resources (Fuji)

American Tackle

Batson Enterprises (Rainshadow/Forecast)

Classic Custom Wood

CTS (Composite Tube Systems Rod Blanks)

Custom Tackle Supply

Decal Connection

Donart

EasyWeave Looms

Fish Sticks 4U

Gudebrod

Ken Preston Custom Rods

Lamiglas

Lamar Manufacturing/ThreadMaster

Lothamer Custom Rods

Mud Hole Custom Tackle

Mickel's Custom Rods

NERBS (NorthEast Rod Builders)

Pacific Bay International

REC Components

Renzetti, Inc.

RodMaker Magazine

St. Croix Rods & Blanks

Sticks and Bones

Swampland Custom Rods

Swifty Manufacturing (Diamonite)

Trondak U-40

Zebra Lighting Systems

ZipCast

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 04:36PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: National Rod Builders Show Vendor Opportunity
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:30AM

Swampland Rods Invites You Preview Charlotte Products

Rods - Featuring premium blanks, exotic wood seats, flocked grips, spiral wrap, titanium guides and more. Take a close look at the custom rods built for the National Rod Show on Rainshadow & Lamiglas blanks. The fit and finish on these rods is astonishing. Any fish will love to get caught on one! Full disclosure certificates can be viewed in the Book of Rods on the display rack.

Give selected rods a test ride in the casting pool with a Shimano Curado 200 BSF Bait Casting Reel - We will let you set the hook on Clyde!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Popping Rods With Flocked Grips & "Bad To The Bone" balancing encapsulations by JB rods are displayed. Spiral and conventional set-ups with Fuji Alconite guides are available. You will not believe the apparent lightweight, balance and tip sensitivity of the "Bones" popping rods! These Show Rods were built on natural polished graphite blanks using a reduced diameter and weight platform.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Wide Assortment of the "Bones & Mermaids", by JB Rods. to balance and properly dress your next custom rod. If you look close Jesse and Pricilla may just make a guest appearance.

Huge inventory of Donjer Products for flocking. All colors of nylon flock and adhesives are displayed. Canisters and compressed air spray devices Deeply Discounted. Discount coupon for Battery Powered CP+ Electrostatic Wands will be awarded to selected booth visitors. These huge savings obtained ONLY at the Show.

The printed text for the Flocking Workshop will be available.

Packaged Flocked Grip Sets - Wine, Blue, Green Black

Swampland Rods will move out a HUGE inventory of custom tapered spiral wrapped Gator Hide Reamers in four different sizes and abrasive combinations. These reamers were custom-built using heavy-duty components and are fitted with optional butt caps and extensions. The Batsons will no longer wonder what the Swamp Boyz are going to do with all those stand up Forecast blanks. Buy in volume and save!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Swampland Rods high quality 4" x 2" engraved black brass plate with Rodmaker Magazine Logo. The plate authenticates a your presence at Charlotte. A third line of text is optional, which may include your name or business name. Preorders for personalized plates must be received prior to February 5, 2006. Plates Only Available In Charlotte!

[www.rodbuilding.org]
Unique oval shaped rod racks will be available in 10 and 16-rod models. These rod stands are heavy duty and will hold rods from bass to offshore stand-ups. The rod rack is quite unique, effective and at a price you will not believe.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Notice: Swampland Booth will be closed during the John Zena and Kurt Angle Match in the NERB Booth!

"Clyde Hide" Sanding Tool - You will not find these at Lowes, Home Depot, local hardware store or the Beauty Supply. Save your time in the hunt - these are the ONLY ones! These industrial quality wet or dry sticks are color-coded for premium paper in a range from 40 to 600. Buy individually or in quantity at the Show for your cork, EVA, wood or finish leveling. No messy home-made wooden blocks or fingernail buffing stuff here. The 320 and finer sticks contain adhesives for wet sanding operations without edge curl. These sturdy and flexible professional sanding tools provide the ultimate flat sanding surface for manual or lathe operation. This tool will save you hours of work and provide the desired surface texture quickly and in a cost effective manner.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Pick up that hard to find specialty tool discounted prices. Things like new sanitized dentist explorers, 1/8" Scotch Guide Placement Tape, Scotch Striping Tape For flock sectioning, Stainless Steel Knippers for trimming metallic thread, spring loaded Squizzers, sharp scissors for all thread work, nail knot tools, workshop or stream side thread spool tensioning devices, stainless steel hooks for gaffs, plenty of spare graphite blank extensions and many others.

Lance has bundled an assortment of tools in a folding carrying case. Squizzers, Knippers, Stainless Nail Knot Dowels, Thread Packer and Razor Blades.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you spend ALL your money with us we will treat you with a photo opportunity with Clyde The Gator and send you on your way with the best bag of Cajun Beef Jerky your have ever eaten! This link will take you along with Clyde on a recent trip to Texas to get more Jerky Meat!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

After you eat the Jerky and realize you have a checkbook in your pocket come back to the booth and ask Sir Lance A Lotto open his London Fog Raincoat and show you a tray full of his custom fountain pins. He will be glad to sell you one of these fine writing instruments to use to write a check for more Cajun Jerky! Whisper in Loto's ear and he may just give you a deal on a pin you just cannot refuse!

We will have a green folding box type wrapping device on our table with Italo's name on it. Please think about his recent theft before you leave to go to Charlotte and bring something to throw in that will help him get back up and running. We are quite sure that anything from his friends will put a smile on his face.

Thank you for reading this far and spending your time looking at some of the pictures. We can assure you that most rodbuilders who visit our booth will shell out their hard earned cash and purchase a cheap cheap item that will be a Show Stopper. We have the exclusive rights to a "Paint Brush For A Flea! Watch it in action in the hands of a master! "Oh Where Fore Art Thou Putter". Watch the Flea place the exact amount of finish on a marble pattern or in a guide foot tunnel. This one is worth the price of admission!

It is getting so close we can't stand it!

See you ALL in Charlotte!

Thanks to Tom K. and the BOARD SPONSORS for allowing us make this post.

Swampland Rods

NERBs Booth Stuff
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:35AM

The North East RodBuilders booth will have some unique items available for sale. Here are pictures of Wine Glasses, which can be pre-ordered and customized by you before February 10th. You can get your name on the stem, custom colors, even a Roller guide which is sure to raise some eyebrows. Yes, we did spine the glass before placing the guide on there, lol. My favorite is the Merlot glass, which has a color combo to match the color of Merlot wine. Glasses are customized by Mike Joyce.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

We will also have Putter DVD's: Marbling Primer, Feather Inlays, Waterslide Decal installation, Narrow Trim bands. I've seen a couple of them, and I know these are great for builders at all levels of experiance. We will also have Putter doing a mini Demo at the booth on Sunday.

Another exclusive from Putter, are the Marblized Pens. One of a kind pens, available only in Charlotte. Here is an example: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Drying motors, stands, and chucks. We're gonna have a few drying set ups for sale. Everythign you need, except a rod & finish....those you can pick up at the Lamar Reelseats booth, lol.

For those who have a hard time wrapping the tip top - we have a tip top tool for the Clemens/Renzetti lathe. This will work even on rods where you glue the tip on first. The days of the tip ending towards teh thread carriage are over. THese are all hand made and painted Black. I've been using mine for a few months, and I even use it when I'm sanding blanks, so I know there is no fear of the tool damaging the blank, even if you wrap at 2000RPM.

East Coast Weavers - there will be a few Doc Ski weave patterns available. Striped Bass, Cod, and a few more - both color change and siloheutte patterns.

Dec Wraps - those who have a hard time figuring out layout, sequence, how to this and that - will be interested in the booklet I've been working on, which will cover everything you need to know for all butt wraps. Tehre will be 25 new patterns, which will challenge teh advanced Thread Artist, along with a few standard patterns for those who are just getting started. COlor pages, step by step photos of each sequence in building a pattern, notes, spacing - here's a preview of one of the pictures of the step by steps. There will be more info in teh book...this is a teaser: [www.rodbuilding.org]

The Global Rods - there will be raffle tickets for the Global Rod for sale at several booths. Teh NERBs booth being one of them. I'll let Mike Joyce expand further on this as he is the one who put this all together.

I hope someone has a Dictionary for sale at one of the booths. Maybe we can work out a trade?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2006 12:14PM by Billy Vivona.

Re: NERBs Booth Stuff
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 01:40PM

The Northeast Rodbuilders will also have information on hand pertaining to future NERBS activities that include various gatherings for builders, along with scheduled fishing trips. If you're from any of the "Upper East" states, please swing by and say hello.

If its various CUSTOM RODS you'd like to see, just for the sake of seeing what other builders do to a fishing rod, swing by and take a look at our rod rack in which no two will be alike....some of which will be quite colorfull ( sunglasses required) They're will also be a few decorative wraps on "test sticks" of some of the patterns available in Billy Vivonas booklet.

Spontaneous demonstrations may occur at any time during the weekend on a "mini shop" we'll have set up, that'll include a lathe, drying motors, various hand tools...and a little bit of masking tape. You never know what may happen.

The Global Rod Project -Raffle: Most of you know through various postings, that last year I asked some of my favorite builders if they'd like to join in this project of adding a bit to a fishing rod and then sending it on to the next builder. 95% of the builders I asked said that they'd like to be included. The builders involved are Mark Crouse, Andy Dear, Jim Upton, Ray Jorgensen, Mike McGivney, Randy "Putter" Parpart, John Dow, Mike Joyce, Dennis Pappike, David Boyle, Billy Vivona, and "Doc Ski". Hiro Tanaka was also included, but due to time contraints and shipping, had to decline. Batson Enterprises assisted with Blanks and components for this undertaking...its almost over.

What to do with the rods??? Its been decided that they'd be raffled off in Charlotte this year with 100% of the proceeds going towards books in libraries, with a portion of proceeds going towards helping some of the rod builders that work directly with children and young adults....here's an opportunity to help out directly to a "rodbuilding cause", and have a chance at one of two truly unique rods. Tickets will be available at our booth and the rods will make they're way over to the Batson Enterprises booth. Hopefully this projects raffle is a success and will continue in the future.

Looking forward to the Show

Michael

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:38PM

It is my understanding that Hiro Tanaka will be at the National Rod Builders Show. This fellow is as good at thread art as anyone alive (or dead, probably) and I'm sure he'll be happy to meet many of you in Charlotte.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 07:05PM

As in other posts - I will not be selling anything at my little table. What I will have is a wrapper set up; spools of thread; broken rods; deterioriated foam handles and other 'nasties'. As part of your entrance fee you are welcome to stop by and do a hands on guide prep, wrap a guide, explore repairs of different pieces, parts. Engage in discussion on how you do this or that & exchange information through (your or my) hands-on demonstration. There's no set schedule - just have to drift on by & join in at your leisure. If I'm not there because I'm in a buying frenzy at Swaplands or digging through Andy's trash cans & cork supplies) my friend Carl (also a rod builder) will be.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 09:44PM

Mike, will there be any way for those of us who cannot make it to Charlotte to get in on the Raffle for the Global Rod?

Tony

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:10PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 08:50AM by Michael Joyce.

GLOBAL ROD RAFFLE TICKETS can be purchased....
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 24, 2006 09:08AM

Tony, good question. Raffle tickets for the Global rod can be purchased in advance. The way it will work is you send me a check, and I will let you know what raffle ticket numbers you have. If you buy 10 tickets, I'll tell you you are number 10001 thru 10010. I will keep everyone's info on a spreadsheet, and when we draw the ticket in Charlotte I will check to see if one of the pre-purchased tickets won the raffle.

The final day for pre-ordering Global Rod tickets is February 15th. Please contact me at vivonab@colsonservices.com for more information regarding ticket price and address to send the check or money order.

***edit: - I forgot to mention the components were donated by Batson Enterprises, blanks, guides & reel seats. All those involved with buildin gthe rod, have donated their time & expertise, and picked up the shipping from builder to builder on their own, so ALL 100% of the proceeds will go towards the Charity/Cause Mike Joyce mentioned above.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 11:42AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 24, 2006 10:49AM

Cool, Thanks Billy.

Tony

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster