I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1wt SIG III - 6'10'' or 7'?
Posted by: Stefan Scherf (---.pools.arcor-ip.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 07:00AM

I would like to build my first 1wt rod for fishing for grayling.
Dan Craft has two 1wt blanks in his Signature III line, the 6'10'' and the 7'. I searched the board but I'm still not shure how they compare in casting and fishing.
Can anybody help?
Any ideas for a matching light reel seat?
Thanks.
Stefan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1wt SIG III - 6'10'' or 7'?
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.23.madbbs.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:10AM

I have no personal experiance with the to yet im going to build the 6 ft 10 for myself soon i hope i just have to finish up my other projects.i recently read someting some where that the 6 ft 10 was a faster rod and the 7 ft rod was more of a softer rod more noodle like it was desribed as may be call dan-craft that seems to be the going advice....

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 02:58PM

Stephan,
I got a SigIII 908-5F a while back from Dan but have not wrapped it yet. However, I was just playing around
with it last night and commented to myself what a "sweeeet rod this is going to be"! If Dan's Sig III's are this
nice I would love to get my hands on an FT!!
Several of the sponsors of the left have on-line catalogs to browse through so finding a seat that suites you
budget and perferances should be no problem. Take a look!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:19PM

I have built both the DC SigIII 6'10" 1wt, 3pc and the 7' 1wt, 6pc. The 6'10" is stiffer when waggled. It is rated as a true 1wt, though I use a 2wt line on it. I can cast in short and out to 30' no problem. Handles in the wind a little better. The 7' 1wt, 6pc is softer and can delicately lay a small trico with no problem. The 6pc configuration is nice for traveling/hiking. I have caught some nice 12" rainbows with it and some brookies. The 6'10" 1wt, 3pc is still a decent travel rod and it performs better in the wind. I enjoy using both of the rods. If you need a little more punch, go with the DC Sig III 6'10" 1wt, 3pc.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 01:52PM

Stefan, are you refering to the 2 piece 7 foot? I just got one in, but have only built the 3 piece.

Date: January 23, 2006 02:17PM

First, thanks for your reply.
Don, I mean the 7' 2pc. or the 6'10', 3pc.. I found some threads about the 6'10'' but not so much about the 7', 2pc.
For me it will be the first time I build, cast or fish anything lighter than a 4wt.
Stefan

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.226.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 03:06PM

I have the 7 foot blank, but have not built it. I would recommend that you use single foot REC recoil guides with a single foot ceramic stripper. 10-4-3-2-1-1-1-1 etc. to the tip. Put the #3 on the female ferrule. Consider an all cork seat and grip as this is a very light blank. Use a 2.2 oz. Forbes magnesium from Overstock.com or a Bass Pro ultralight classic. Rio PW1F from Sierra Trading. I am predicting that we will both love this blank. The 6'10" is quite a powerhouse. I am guessing that this one will be a bit more delicate.

Date: January 23, 2006 04:28PM

Don,
I never used the Recoils. Up to now I'm very pleased with the Forecast single foot snakes. Are there any advantages with the recoils?
What overall cork real seat would you recommend? ... Struble, REC? The Struble D2 seems to be a bit bulky?
Do you think a Struble U25 is too much for SIGIII 1wts? Struble tells it to be a small seat for 1-3wt rods.
And ... let me when have finished the 7'.
Stefan

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: January 23, 2006 05:33PM

Stefan, I like the recoils because of the thinner wire and very light weight. More noticeable in the double foot, even the single foot guides bend a bit, and you don't want to dampen this blank. I find wood inserts in any configuration are too heavy for this blank. You might get a cap and ring set from Cortland. The nickel silver version is a little heavy, but will work. The aluminum is lighter. Jann's makes a sliding ring set with cork seat and grip which some like. I prefer a cap and ring seat with a separate downsized grip, or using a cork seat with two winding checks as rings. I cannot overemphazise how light this blank is. It will be way butt heavy unless you are careful. My 6'10" uses a Kork-a-lon foam grip with a real seat turned down in the foam on a lathe and a 2.2 oz reel and just balances.

Posted by: scott.bearden (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: January 23, 2006 11:38PM

I just ordered my 6'10" from Dan the other day. He helped me pick out some appropriate parts to finish the rod that he had on hand. I figure who knows the rod better? As far as the reel goes I am having some difficulty choosing. I think when I have the money I will settle on the Sage 3000. The magnesium Forbes reel looks tempting, but how well will it hold up? I went with Orvis Wonderline, but I have heard good things about rio. I guess when you have less than 5 feet of line out and maybe a 9 ft leader what difference is it going to make? I bought this blank to fish for brookies in extremely close range.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster