I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Too many guides or incorrect spacing?
Posted by: Jimmy Baker (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 06:37PM

I am at a loss.
First the specifics:
Rainshadow 1384(11.5 ft./ 4-10lb line)
Shimnao Sahara 2500
Power Pro Braid 15lb. test with 10lb mono shock leader

I am trying to follow the NGC instructions in the library to assemble this rod. It is my first and every step of the way seems as if I am not supposed to succeed. I will admit that I am probably guilty of trying to " Pick the fly dung out of the pepper". It looks as if I will need approximately 17 guides with the layout I now have. I am using BSVHG single foot spinning guides and FL6 single foot fly guides.

Here are a few measurements for your viewing pleasure:
center of reel spool to tip top 123 5/8"
center of reel spool to intersect guide 53 1/4"
tip top to end of tip section 70 3/4"
tip top to intersect guide 70 1/4"

Using guides 25,14, and 8 the measurements are:
center of reel spool to butt guide 32"
25 to 14 8 1/4"
14 to 8 6 3/4"
8 to intersect guide 6"

Using guides 30, 20, and 10 the measurements are:
center of reel spool to butt guide 27 1/2"
30 to 20 9 3/4"
20 to 10 9 1/4"
10 to intersect guide 6 1/4"

My intention was to use a #20 butt guide, but this would have placed the guide 37 1/4" from the center of the spool. Using the #30, I am still 4" outside of the suggested 17-23". If the 17-23" dimension is not written in stone, then I am going to try and use the 25, 14, and 8 arrangement. This leaves 70 1/4" of the tip section to be filled using #6 fly guides. The static placement instructions in the library states to set the guides 5" apart, then load the rod and adjust the guides accordingly. this would require 14 guides plus the tip top on the tip section plus 3 guides on the butt section. Maybe the static test will eliminate 3 or 4 guides, then... maybe not .
It seems to me that the intersect point is closer to the reel than it should be. This is my first rod, so I have nothing to compare to. It just seems too close. When I found the intersect guide location I marked it, and located the other guides on the blank. At the time, I wondered if I should have put the intersect guide in position and then moved the blank away from the edge of the table intil the edge of the guide lined up with the edge of the table, then marked the location for the other guides.
I apologize for the long-winded post, but I want to do the best job I can on this rod. I would certainly appreciate any suggestion, advice, or direction in this matter.

Jimmy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too many guides or incorrect spacing?
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:08PM

Jimmy,
17 guides for that rod does seem to me to be quite a few. I would think that you could reduce that down to 13 or even 12 and get a little better performance from the rod. But you are using light weight guides so I would not worry about it to much. I am not familiar with that reel so I am not much use to you as far as the first guide size is concerned but the general rule of thumb is the first guide should have a diameter that is about 1/2 the diameter of the spool. If the first guide is a little larger than this it will not hurt anything but I would not go any smaller than 1/2 the spool diameter.
As far as the null point is concerned what you have seems reasonable to me but if it worries you move it out a little farther and readjust the guides in front of the null point. They will guide the line to the null point that is farther out and you will not be able to tell the difference in the rods casting. Moving it out a little farther will also allow you to use a different reel that has a lower angle.
If I understand your question about moving the blank after finding the null point, I would not. I would leave the blank on whatever you are using for a straight edge and position the first few guides with it still lined up on your straight edge alligning all of the guides in front of the null point using the straight edge. Then you can naturally move it to position all of the guides that are beyond the null point.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:42PM

It's a longer rod but I think I'd try to make do with about 10 or 11 guides. The way to cut down on the number is to use more space between the running guides. From the tip try something progressive like 5, then 6 then 7 inches and so on and so forth until you get back to the intersect guide. I wouldn't put more than about 9 inches between them though so once you get there just stick with 9 inches between guide back to the intersection point. If it doesn't work out perfectly just adjust those first few so it does.

Posted by: Robert Marie (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:54AM

Greetings,

Working back from your provided data I can see that your butt handle is about 9".
For that amount of pole, for me, that handle would be a few inches , under sized.

Thats the beauty of rolling your own, isnt it?

Your NGC placement plans look ontrack.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster