I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

12 wt fly rod fore grip
Posted by: moushka wells (---.gci.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 04:04PM

I want to pace a small foregrip on a 12 wt fly rod for a breast cancer survivor whose heart is bigger than her strength. It is our hope that this will increase her ability to guide king salmon to shore in fast water without breaking the rod.

The question I have is what should the distance be between the regular grip and the fore grip on a 9', 2 section rod. The lower grip is 7" and the fore grip is 5 1/4".

I also want to epoxy in between the cork grips a pink ribbon that I had made at a sign shop of vinyl. I have never used vinyl before is there anything I should know specific to vinyl labels?

Has anyone made custom rods for individuals with chest or shoulder injuries of the right (dominate) arm? If so I would really like to hear your experiences.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 12 wt fly rod fore grip
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 04:55PM

I had a custom rod maker in Minnesota make a Sage RPLXi 9wt for me several years ago with a fore grip. Since Sage only puts foregrips on 12wt and above, he warned me not to reef too hard on it, only use it to rest my arm. It has a small Sage type fighting butt and it is 12" exactly from that butt to the top of the full wells grip. There is a full 5 1/2" space between the grip and the 5" foregrip. I didn't specify where to put the foregrip, this is where he felt it should beand it's very comforable at that distance. If you look on the www.sageflyfish.com website and view their XI2 rods, you will see the 12wt with a foregrip. However, their's looks a bit less than 5 11/2". If you don't get a lot of responses, you can call them and ask what distances they use. I would get her input as to where a foregrip would feel comfortable for her. Good luck.

Re: 12 wt fly rod fore grip
Posted by: Dick Jones (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 10:42AM

What I've done for my 8,10,&12 wgt fly rods that has worked very well for me is as follows. I make a fore grip 5 -6 in. long out of customgrip 2 with a hole about the diameter of the rod at the place where it will go. I then make a cut down the length of the grip. I then put the grip in my pocket so that I don't have to cast the extra weight. When I hock a fish & get it on the reel, I just get it out of my pocket & snap it on the rod to help me fight the fish. I haven't caught that many big fish, but I haven't broken a rod yet. Dick

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster