I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster, Again!!!
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 12:27PM

I don't mean to beat a dead horse but since there has been recent posts concerning problems with getting a long inscription area level, I'm going to anyway. I did my second rod with Threadmaster this morning. It was an open diamond/chevron so it was very uneven. I also had a long inscription area. This time I put it to the test. I got the blank very level and gobbed the Threadmaster on with a Micky D coffee stirrer (Sorry Ralph, will be looking at your spatula in Charlotte) and let it flow/coat until it sagged on the bottom. Wicked excess off and rotated 180 degrees. Did this a few times until the sags pretty much stopped and then turned dryer on (3 rpm). I can honestly say that this rod has the levelest finish that I personally have ever gotten on a rod. The 3" inscription area is like glass!

I realize that your mileage may vary but IMO, Andy has a real winner!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster, Again!!!
Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 12:58PM

Ordered some this morning.

Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 01:17PM

Last month I comandeered Billy Vivona and Michael Joyce to send me some of their best work coated with ThreadMaster, to be used in an upcoming magazine ad.

Michael sent me one of his famous "Rose Diamond wrap" patterns which was probably about 10" - 12" long. The finish looks like a mirror....I mean REALLY flat. But the importatnt thing is that it did that w/o having to build up a thick nasty glass like layer. I have never been a fan of thick plasticky looking finishes.

Mike's work is some of the finest I have seen, and I am just thrilled the finish does it justice.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg

Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 02:45PM

i havent had a problem with it either i marbeled 6-1/2 to 7 inches in front then wraps and then a final coat this far it has been the best ive worked with and im up here in michigan too so it isent exactly warm just dont pile the finsh on is the key i find two coats works great three is a charm............

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 03:31PM

Thank you for your compliment and the opportunity to help out with your magazine ad. I definately enjoy wrapping Billys "Rose" pattern, and this one just had to have a white backgound for testing ThreadMasters UV inhibitors. When your done with it feel free to stick it out in the hot Texas sun as another "test stick"!!

So far, I've used it on 4 of my personal rods, three "test wraps", and a few wine glasses (don't ask!). Great stuff is all I can say, and I'm looking forward to high build.

If I could "Bash" the ThreadMaster finish, beleive me I would...but there's no reason to yet!!! See if they can add a Dust Inhibutor to the 2007 formula....

Thanks again for your words
Looking forward to meeting you and all the other builders in Charlotte

Mike

Posted by: Fran Park (---.atlaga.adelphia.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 03:32PM

Andy, please bring plenty of Threadmaster to Charlotte.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 04:38PM

Fran,

I don't think he can haul enough. (unless he has an 18 wheeler). Then he might be able to fit in a few garbage cans with rods.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 04:40PM

Andy Dear Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last month I comandeered Billy Vivona

I have mine in a package sitting at my desk at work. You're gonna kick my butt in Charlotte, sorry.

Date: January 21, 2006 08:40PM

HA!

I'd probably do that on general principle anyway....

Andy Dear
Lamar mfg.

Date: January 21, 2006 08:40PM

HA!

I'd probably do that on general principle anyway....

Andy Dear
Lamar mfg.

Posted by: Tony Politi (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:09PM

Andy, got a question for you. I turned my first plug today, a needlefish. It is completed except for epoxy. I was gonna use 30 minute epoxy, but was considering using some Threadmaster thatI got from Billy at the LI NERBS gathering. Do you think Threadmaster will be OK for this, or should I stick to 30 min???

Thanks
Tony

Date: January 21, 2006 11:44PM

TOny - give it a shot. YOu got a sample there, might as well use it...as a sample. Therre will not be any problems using TM with the plug. Why would you use that over 30 minute?

Date: January 22, 2006 10:17AM

Billy, I have both but I was impressed over the clarity of the Threadmaster, and it seems prety durable.
Plus, since it's my first plug why not experiment?

Tony

Date: January 22, 2006 10:32AM

It's definately durable enough, I assure you of that. And you should experiment, I think you're gonna like the results.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:00AM

Tony......its ThreadMaster, not "PlugMaster"lol....should work much better than 30 minute. Alot of the plug builders up here use Envirotex?

Date: January 22, 2006 11:43AM

30 minute is terrible as a coating...it will turn brown in a matter of a few days! Envirotex is the same way. One of those pictures you see on the white blank on my website is Envirotex after about 3 days.

ThreadMaster should work great for that application.

Andy

Date: January 25, 2006 02:19PM

Andy, I gave the plug 2 coats of Threadmaster and it came out great. It has a clear, smooth finish and I can't wait for the first set of teeth marks in it. I'll post a pic and a link tonight.

Tony

PS - Plugmaster might not be a bad idea, LOL a little cross marketing.

A couple of pics

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2006 05:10PM by Tony Politi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster