I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Foot Adhesive
Posted by: John DeWitt (---.insight.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 12:37AM

Guys,

Just a quick question. To those of you who don't use the glue stick guide foot adhesive, why don't you use it? It seems much easier to me than taping on all the guides. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Foot Adhesive
Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 03:11AM

I use rubber tubing and sometimes tape. The glue, for me, causes trouble with my thread. I guess I don't put it on neat enough. I also find ruber tubing better to move the guides during static testing.
Have a good day,

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 03:55AM

I agree with John!! What I found when I used adhhesive years ago was ! Once the guide was wraped and in place, You couldn't move the guide for a finale alignment. Also at time a small peace of adhisive would pop up threw the wrap and yoy would spend 1/2 aday trying to get it out . What I usually did was rewrap.
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: Matt Davis (66.228.246.---)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:38AM

John DeWitt - I use guide foot adhesive and find it the best and easiest way to mount guides.

I tape my guides on for static testing and casting. Once I'm happy with the locations and numbers of guides I mark their locations with a china marker. I pull the guides off and make sure they're prepped well. I then apply them to the rod with the adhesive. I sight down the rod and make sure they are located where I'd like them to be. If not I warm them with a hair dryer and apply some pressure to shift them where they need to be. Finally I check each guide foot for excess adhesive. You don't need a lot of adhesive so if you're getting a mess, you're using too much. If there is some squeeze out I remove it with an X-acto knife. I wipe down all my guide feet and wrap areas with alcohol to make sure I have no skin oil or contaminants that will effect my finish. That also removes my china marker. Feet are blackened with a Sharpie marker. Then I wrap my rod. The guide does not move and there is no need to readjust guides while wrapping or after wrapping. Just start wrapping and don't stop until you are done. On the odd occasion a guide shifts, warm it with a hair dryer and apply pressure to shift.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:52AM

IT's much easier to move guides static deflecting when they are held on by surgical tubing. I use teh guide foot adhesive on smaller single foot guides when I'm going to wrp them. IT's hard for me to use since I had the same problems as otehrs mentioned, mainly that it pops through the thread, and when I heat the finish it makes a big bump.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:39AM

I use rubber bands made from latex tubing. I have recently got some that is 1/16 inch inside diameter. This works real well on very small guides near the tip. I also got some 1/8 material that works real well up to about 0.25 inches. (I also have a bunch of 1/4 inch stuff) If anyone wants to know my source send me an email. (Scuba supply store) I may bring a small amount to Charlotte if anyone wants to see this material.

I agree with Billy V. it is easy to move rubber bands with the guide.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:55AM

Ed - I'm interested in knowing where you get it (primarily because I'm too lazy to look myself). Can you please send it to my work e-mail?

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:14AM

Matt's method works fine for me. I wrap almost all single foot guides applied using the Forhan wrap and I can still move them for final alignment.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:38AM

I like the guide foot adhesive but I only use it on small guide feet on the tip sections of small diameter blanks. Once it dries, I trim off any excess around the foot prior to wrapping. It also is suppose to cushion/protect the blank underneath the guide foot similar to an underwrap. I usually burn my finger tips while moving the heated guide into position but I still like using it.

Posted by: kennt cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:49AM

i have tried almost everything i can think of.. what i find has worked for me the best is the rubber strips from custom spinner skirts.two wraps and knot then slip the guide right under.it is so nice to work with a little hard to tie the knot towards the tip though. i guess i am starting to have problems tying knotts anyways with getting older and all..when i need to remove it i just touch a razor to it on top of the guide foot and it goes away.i wish i would have tried this when i first started.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 04:01PM

-"To those of you who don't use the glue stick guide foot adhesive, why don't you use it?"

I'm just the opposite of Kenny; I haven't tried many other methods at all. I've only tried the fuel hose and cutting it into pieces other than masking tape. Just guilty of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" I guess. I really mean to try this stuff (adhesive) but keep forgetting to order it.

I've just always been happy with using cut strips of masking tape. It's worked great for me and I'm just 'at home' with it, I guess. The fuel hose allowed the guide to push out ahead of the wrapping thread too frequently for me. I still use fuel hose pieces for quick guide placement/alignment, but then use masking tape for wrapping the guides.

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2006 01:14AM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Rick Hoffman (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:06PM

Rubber bands.

Adhesive? You couldn't move the guide for alignment.

Rick

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:16PM

Rick and Billy are absolutely correct! You can move your guides around for spacing and aligment. I use to have trouble out toward the tip, but now that I got this 1/16 stuff, I'm sold on rubber bands.

Putter, I sent you and e-mail but it came back returned. Looked like everything in ND is froze up and broke.

Ed

Date: January 21, 2006 11:36PM

The reason I use rubber bands is I can easily move the guides for static testing and adjusting guide placement. I also can use them for test casting with no problem. Using tape is a sticky mess, when you have to change guide placement
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 01:08AM

Go to any hobby shop that deals in mdels. They carry plastic tubing used for model engine fuel lines, etc. It comes in various diameters, is inexpensive and with a cutting board and a razor blade you can slice off a years worth of thin rubber bands. Slide as many as you need, with a couple of extras, on to the blank (before the tip is installed) space them were you want and slide the guide feet under them. They are easily moved and adjusted and once you wrap up onto the guide foot, just nick with a razor blade and they fly of. Quick, easy and best of all CHEAP!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 22, 2006 04:46AM

I do as Mike,Ed and Rick and the rest do with bands. I make mine from surgical tubing . I get mine from a fishing tackle shop. Here in the NW we also use the tubing to hold pencle lead when drift fishing
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 08:38AM

The little rubber bands that are used for dental braces will work. May be little more expensive then tubing from hobby store, But you don't have to cut them, and for those of us who don't have a hobby store around the dental stuff is more accessible from drug stores.

Don’t use adhesive because it isolates the guides from the blank, with what is basically a vibration deadening material, and I don’t use anything that I.M.O. will deaden feel.

Posted by: John DeWitt (---.insight.res.rr.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 11:38PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I have found that if you use a minimal amount of adhesive, the bond is easily broken after the thread wrap is in place. Rarely do I build on a blank that I haven't built on before, so I've done the static tests with tape etc... Now that I have a pretty solid idea about where the guides should be places, the guide foot adhesive seems to be the easiest/quickest in my opinion. I can't seem ti find those really small rubber bands that everyone is talking about. I suppose those would be great if I could get a good source. Anybody? Thanks for all your replies. I appreciate all the thoughtful input.

John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster