I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threadmaster cure time...
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 10:29PM

If I finished a rod tonight and it was on the turner at about 8:30 pm, at what point is threadmaster going to be cured enough to take this rod to the lake? I've searched and only come up with pot life and one post where it didn't cure in 24hours since it was applied cold.

I'm just impatient, it's my first completed rod! And I'm wanting to fish with it tomorrow... what do you think, ill advised?

Details: Threadmaster over NCP, drying indoors~75-78 degrees on turner at 6rpm. I warmed the threadmaster very slightly per Andy's instructions ( 8 seconds in microwave, then carried in shirt pocket for about 30 minutes while setting up) before mixing.

So far it looks great, it's almost perfectly level, no bubbles Not bad for a "first timer!"

One more thing, how long do I need to leave it turning?

Thanks a lot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threadmaster cure time...
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:00PM

After the first hour I can relax. I don't have a turner but the epoxy seems to have set up enough to quit turning the rod. I won't fish this rod until 24 hours has passed since I applied finish. The rod builders prayer.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.va-ashburn0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:02PM

When the excess is hard it's done. The no sag time depends on where you live, 2 hours should do it. Setup in 4 to 6 hours is what has been reported.

Date: January 20, 2006 11:17PM

I figured that I should give it 24 hours but I was just hoping it was like some epoxies that will fully cure in 8-12 hours. I'm sure you guys can remember rod #1 and how excited you were... I'm real patient when I'm ON THE WATER, just not before! ...lol

Thanks!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 03:58AM

I personally wait 2 days after the last coat has been put on
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:04AM

I'd wait 2 or 3 days before I fished it. Even though it may be dry to the touch after 24 hours, it won't reach full hardness for several more days. Fishing it at 24 hours only invites denting or dulling of the finish. Give it an extra day, at least.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 09:50AM

I put it on a rod at 9PM at night, then took it fishing at 4AM. Guides & butt wrap were epoxied. I fished the rod 30 times over a 2 month period, and didn't have any problems. The right thing to do is wait and let it cure, but if you gotta go fishing, you gotta take the new rod. Worst case it gets messed up and you have to re-wrap teh guides.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:07AM

The best way to determine hardness is to keep the application pan and periodically mash your thumbnail down into the surface and observe denting. If it make an easy imprint the rod will scratch. If it is too soft the scratch will heal in back to a level finish in about an hour. Fishing? This is kinda like the potty. If you gotta go you gotta go! Full speed ahead and D--M the finish!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:16AM

A FULL FULL cure occurs after aproximately 7 days...a realistic useable cure after 2 days. Obviously Billy is testing the finish to it's limits, and I am glad to see that it works even under the most extreme punishment!

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:26AM

Good to know the correct answer...suspense has been killing me!!(well, not really). I'd think that the next day would be the best time for a finish...its in its most flexible state?, just don't smack it around too much. Its the thread that holds the guides in place, not the finish? So many questions...so little time. If your water ain't all froze up...go fishing!!

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 10:46AM

I think the Threadmaster does take a little longer than some of the other finishes that I have used. Iy also looks better than most of the others. I agree with the Threadmaster Man (Andy Dear).

Ed Smith

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 01:27PM

ThreadMaster actually gels up to a tack free finish much quicker than do the other polymers on the market. You can stop rotating ThreadMaster after 1 hour and re-coat in as little as 4-6 hours. That's one of the beautiful attributes of this finish of this finish is that a 2 day finish job, now becomes a 1 day job because of the quick re-coat time.

It's safe to say that after 24-48 hours the rod is in a state that you can fish it with no ill effects.
However if were talking about technical "full cure" w/maximum crosslinking occuring that's going to be many days (7 days in the case of ThreadMaster according to the manf. technical data sheet). That's not to say that you can't fish the rod after 1 or 2 days, just that the longer you can allow it to cure unstressed the better.
Remember to always apply your finish in a room 68 degrees or higher, and make sure both parts are roughly room temperature for maximum performance!!!

Hey Vivona....how's it holding up under the frigid conditions you fish in? I know one of your concerns was cracking in cold weather?

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 04:44PM

I had no problems whatsoever with the finish in teh cold. I had one foot crack because I did not grind the foot properly. I need more hours in a day, I've rushed everything I've done in the past 4 months. I had it on another rod which i used 4 or 5 times, and no problems. I also have it on a coupel of rods that customers use, and I have not seen them. I did deliver both rods to teh customers after teh rod sitting in 25 degree temps for 3 hours, and I did flex thet rod pretty good - you usually hear teh cracking the first time the rod is flexed, I heard/saw nothing at all.

Date: January 22, 2006 02:26PM

I saved the foil with the excess and it was hard as a rock at 5am (9 hrs) yesterday. I guess it has become a moot point... we are finally getting rain!! As bad as I want to fish, I'd rather have rain right now. So it will at the very least get 3 days curing time before use.

Thanks for the info everyone.

-keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster