I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

what is the best IM6 blank?
Posted by: Red Jackson (168.8.176.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 08:36AM

i have a rainshadow IM6 rod, how do some others compare to this blank?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what is the best IM6 blank?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 20, 2006 08:48AM

There is probably not such thing at the "the best" IM6 blank. The blank that is the best for you won't be the best for me and vice versa. You have to consider what characteristics you desire in a blank and find one that matches those. There are very few "bad" blanks on the market today.

The Rainshadow blanks have a large and loyal following.

Posted by: Art Parramoure (---.252.151.222.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 08:56AM

TIGER-EYE is my choice ~~

See sponsors at the left------Neal's, Sevier Mfg, and maybe others carry the IM-6 TIGER-EYE.. Very nice blank for the action and the $$$$$$$$$$$$ ' s .

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.101.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:01AM

As an example of what Tom said, I have the Rainshadow IM6 IF865 and think it's a great all-around rod. It CC's at 5.79/64. Others think that the Winston IM6 865 is the way to go. However, that rod CC's at 3.42/58. So, the same fisherman is probably not going to like both of those rods equally well for the same line and casting distance. It all depends on how you want the rod to feel. I agree with something Tom has been saying a lot lately, "there really aren't many bad blanks out there". The overall quality of what is available is very high, it's just a matter of selecting the right blank for your project (power, action, color, price, etc.)

Posted by: red Jackson (168.8.176.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:07AM

what do you mean by CC? how would that affect a rod?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:13AM

Jeez, Steve, those two 865's look near identical to me! ;)

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.12.101.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:18AM

Putter, yes indeed the world of fly blanks is some kind of crazy crap shoot if you don't know the numbers. Red, the CCS is the Common Cents System for measuring a blank's power and action. Power and action have a HUGE effect on how the rod casts and fishes. You can read about it at the link on the upper left. Then test your rods and you will know what to compare other blanks and rods to. Otherwise, it's almost impossible to make comparisons.

Posted by: Red Jackson (168.8.176.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:28AM

thanks for the help

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.39.65.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:44AM

I think you will find the CCS very useful. If you want to compare fly blanks based on something other than opinions and marketing information, this is the only way I know to do it. Step 1 is read the articles, especially articles 1 and 2. Step 2: test the rods and blanks you currently own and you will understand what 5.79/64, for example, actually feels like. Then you can decide if you want a new blank to have more/less power or faster/slower action. As a major league baseball player from the Dominican Republic might say, "the system, she is a good one."

I realized that I have been assuming you are talking about fly blanks and you never said that. Hmmm - fly rods on the brain I guess, sorry. CCS is equally good at comparing power and action for any type of blank, although it was designed with fly rods in mind, since power and action really affect personal preference. Some people prefer to cast with the blank really loaded and some people like a much crisper feel. And blanks labeled for a particular line weight can be all over the map in terms of power and action so without something quantitative, the builder or angler is left mostly guessing which blank will work best for him.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 03:18PM by Steve Kartalia.

Posted by: kenny cuddeford (---.dhcp.scrm.ca.charter.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:47PM

for durability,,i have beat the crap out of one my forecast 1025's for a little over a year.it is tied into a fly rod but i use mono on it.i have caught big salmon,stripers,steelhead and a few sharks on it..it has been smacked on limbs,poked into the water for a depth guage,used as a walking stick and much more..it is a little heavy as for blank weight but it ballances nice with my old martin #72 and gets my vote.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:13PM

I don't think I can you really tell....I just picked up a sj blank($130), and then compared it to a similar sj blank that was $12......I got to say I couldn't tell the difference. Keep in mind I've only built two rods....and am working on several others. I regret spending top $ now looking back.......I don't know maybe I don't have the skill or maybe like Tom K said there are a lot of good blanks just what is right for you. I'm sure I'll be rediculed by some for making that statement, however it is true.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 12:23AM

Red,

Both the Forecast and the Rainshadow (same company) blanks are very nice fore the $!

Rainshadow's have a big following.

A rod with a CC 3.42 will be loaded with a lot less line out than a rod with a 5.79. As more line goes out it may begin to feel "overloaded."

A simplification, I think....but in the ball park. "Feel" is subjecting, of course.

Anyway...your Rainshadow is a fine stick. I've built three Rainshadows and 4 Forecasts. None have disappointed.

Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster