I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mate finish how ?
Posted by: Marko Arhagen (---.telenor.se)
Date: January 20, 2006 02:56AM

I am building a Rainshadow RX8+905-4 for a customer and he would like the finish to be mate as the blank, I use Flex Coat light is there anything I can mix with the finish to get it mate? What are my options?
I made a seartch on "mate finish" but nothing useful came up.
Thanks in advance.

Marko

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mate finish how ?
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 20, 2006 05:38AM

Not “mate” finish, but “MATTE” FINISH.
Correct that spelling error, and repeat your SEARCH.
“MATTE FINISH”; [Subject + Message Bodies]
You will find DOZENS of Results, just in the last 30 days.
Expand out to 90 days or 1 year if needed.

That is not really a topic I have an interest in / follow / or have a need for, per se, so I'm not much on specifics for this one. It sounds like you want to create a matte finish on your threads and / or rod blank, ...?... Is that correct?

You may have to wind up using a satin finish urethane varnish as a final coat, but even that sounds more murky than textured. Maybe a FLAT finish? Whatever you try, make dang sure to do SCRAP-WORK on a SCRAP BLANK, or things could easily get very UGLY, and become a disaster long before it resembles something this customer (or you) will like. ... Sounds impractical to me, anyway, ... And like it could “yellow” quite a bit over time, as many varnishes do. ... Okay, I'm done surmising! ...Good Luck, Marko. -Cliff Hall+++, Gainesville, FL-USA*****

P.S. - If you don't think you can get a matte finish to work, rather than lose an interested customer, consider steering him in the direction of MARBLE-IZING something on the rod. Maybe you and he will like that idea. Or just use a nice matte finish rod blank to begin with. ...

Be careful about some brands of MATTE finish rod blanks. See:

Re: Blank Flaw? ... Andy Dear ... Jan. 12, 2006 10:20PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
The MATTE finish on most St. Croix blanks is VERY tender, and will wipe off with ALCOHOL (EtOH or IPA), or any stronger solvent. I asked a St. Croix employee about this one time, and his response was “Why would you wipe a blank with alcohol?” [Epoxy clean-up!] It doesn't matter if it's a low end blank, or an SC-V – the matte finish is just not durable at all. -Andy Dear, Lamar Mfg.

Re: Blank Flaw? ... Charles Clayton ... Jan. 12, 2006 10:25PM
[www.rodbuilding.org]
Alcohol will take the shine off a lot a car lacquers and even powder-coated metal. It’s generally safe, but it’s always a good idea to test the butt of the blank first when you plan to use it. –Regards, Charles Clayton.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2006 06:37AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.245.108.176.Dial1.SanJose1.Level3.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 07:36AM

I would try testing ultra fine autofinishing sandpapers, 1500 to 3000 grit. It will just take the shine off the gloss. Satin Varethane comes to mind as well.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 08:52AM

You can get "Sanded" blanks, no finish at all, and they look just like the Matte finish. Contact Mudhole. Jesse

Posted by: Marko Arhagen (---.telenor.se)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:40AM

Thanks!

The blank is MATTE and I want the thread finish to matte as well, There is a way to do it cause I have seen it, The Rodbuilder(sweden) that knows how is not willing to share so I am hoping there is someone here that have done it.

Marko

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:54AM

As Tim says above, Marko. Just test it in an area or another scrap piece to get the look you want. Mask off areas of the blank when you go to do this and avoid scuffing up the blank when getting "the dull look".

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.136.---)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:12AM

I recently asked this same question on matte guide wrap finishes and got one answer. Klasskote makes a finish. I am not sure on the size bottles they offer. I'd like to try some, but don't want to buy too much in case I don't like it.

Personally thinking about the CTS matte blanks with matte wraps and some of Andy's burnt burl. Kinda dark I know, but very stealthy.

Jay

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 20, 2006 06:09PM

Use a very fine sandpaper, 2000 grit or so, and the epoxy wraps will be very matte in appearance. The Klass Kote 2 part epoxy paint comes in a gloss and a satin. You can also use satin Wipe On polyurethane. If you just cover the threads (about 5 coats) it will look pretty dull over most colors and may be the style your customer wants. No matter what you do, rry it off blank first. Don

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 09:26PM

Have not done it but you could put the last coat on as a semi-gloss or flat spar urethain ??

Posted by: Marko Arhagen (---.telia.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 03:21PM

Thanks you all!

Guess i have some testing to do!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 21, 2006 11:11PM

You might also try the WHITE ultrafine ScotchBrite pad. Supposed to be like 0000 Steel Wool.

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster