I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides along bend in rod
Posted by: Ken Blevins (---.ironoh.adelphia.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 05:07PM

I picked up a 7’6” blank today [ one piece , stiff , and a little heavy ] and thought I would build a spinning rod ,since nothing I have is close to this length. It has a slight downward turn .I believe the general consensus is that its ok to place the guides along the curve regardless where the spine is located because the spine doesn’t matter anyway. Right??
Ken Blevins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides along bend in rod
Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:24PM

See related Post & Replies for [www.rodbuilding.org]
"spiral wraps and spine location...up or down." Bob Tursi 12/31/05 12:26

"Hiya, Bob - Are you sitting down ...?... Good, because the shortest version of the answer is: Whatever suits your fancy, that's how you can orient the rod blank. This is a very arbitrary subject, and too much dogmatism should be avoided." etc, etc, etc.-Cliff Hall, ... and several other Authors (Kirkman, Vivona, Emory Harry, et al)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2006 06:28PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:29PM

Ken,

Sight down the blank and align the guides on the straightest axis. It is that simple :)

DR

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2006 07:01PM

I'd probably do the same. Position the rod so that the tip and butt are "high' and the belly is "down" and put the guides (for spinning rod) along the belly.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 07:59PM

I'm with Tom

Posted by: Jimmy Baker (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 10:18PM

I am in the process of building my first rod. The blank is a Rainshadow 1384. It will be a spinning rod used for float fishing. I am following the instructions in Tom Kirkman's book, ROD BUILDING GUIDE(2001).
I have located the spine. I then found the hard side where the blank seems to jump equally to either side of this orientation.
I decided to check the forum to see if there was a preference for using the spine or the hard side in determining placement of the guides.
After reading this thread it seems that the spine or hard side doesn't matter and that I should place the guides on the inside of the natural curve of the blank.
Am I on the right track, or just a very confused first time builder? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jimmy

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 21, 2006 01:22AM

Jimmy Baker - ... "If the rod's curvature makes it look funny, then hiding that aspect would probably trump any spine issues." -CMH. ... Also, "Adopt a system (of guide-spine-curve orientation) that works for you, and the kind of rods you build, and refine it based on your own experience, and you'll be fine." -CMH. ... To which, Tom Kirkman said: "Right, ..etc." ... Another very good related Post & Replies was:

Confusing Info ... Ralph Tomaccio ... Dec. 3, 2005 03:18PM
[www.rodbuilding.org] "... [In] the new 2006 Mud Hole catalog and on page 4, lower right section on "Determining the spine of the rod", ... ETC...."

If you REALLY want to read a serious discussion on tapered golf club shaft spine science & resonance frequency, and extrapolate that information to our tapered fishing rod's spine & resonance frequency, then read the Technical Notes (referenced by Emory Harry) and written by John Kaufman, retired engineer at [www.csfa.com.] After my reading of Kaufman's Technical Notes, I had 9 PAGES of his summary comments, diagrams, plots & equations, from his ~ 3 dozen technical notes. ... Now, golf club shafts do not suffer from curvature like a much longer and much thicker walled fishing rods. And golf shafts tend to have a less pronounced spine than a rod blank. ... So, that's why I said that a bad curvature may trump a subtle spine in a rod blank, ...

But do you want to know what this mad scientist said about spine orientation, with respect to the plane of the applied force (the club swing or the bent rod)? “In a blind test: the weak axis (N1-N2) was definitely the preferred alignment.” ... To translate that onto our fishing rod means that Kaufman would put the guides inside the softer curve spine. Period. It reduces tip wobble; and both the internal and external torsion forces on the rod shaft. This torsion is a shaft twisting or wringing, or a shaft roll-over, respectively. These two torsions can also be reduced, but not completely eliminated, by a Spiral Wrap.

Clearly, a very bad curvature in the rod blank may generate a greater magnitude torsional force in the rod blank than a rod that has a very subtle spine effect. But that is where you as the builder get to feel & decide which effect is dominant (spine? or curvature?) and more in need of minimizing.

That's rod-building! ... Just as much craft as science, if not more.
'Hope that helps. IMO, -Cliff Hall+++

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 21, 2006 01:35AM

I'm in the process of building a light (ultralite) rod from the tip half of a 9 foot steelhead rod to see how it works on a light spinning reel. Due to my contrary nature, I decided to put the guides on the straighest axis, BUT on the opposite side of the blanks belly - just to see how that arrangement works out (light jigs, worms, etc.in sound/sheltered saltwaters). I think it'll work for intended use but won't know 'til the weather warms a bit.

The final rod length is 6'

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2006 02:52AM by Stan Gregory.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster