I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RodBuilding Room Questions
Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 12:41PM

I just got around to setting up the beginnings of what will be my full time rod building and fly tying room in the basement.

I have an older home without much ceiling space, a beam that'll knock your lights out if you don't duck, and it is a one room-open format.

I've chosen not to do "high dust" activities in my room. The lathe and grinder are out in the garage for now. I am quite surprised to see those that have it all in one place.

My question for those guys who've been nice enough to post pics of their rooms and email them to me...

What do you do to keep the dust out of the finish when coating?

I've run my first coat down there and I can see that I have a dust issue already?

Tell me the secret?

Domenic Federico
Infinity Rod Creations

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RodBuilding Room Questions
Posted by: Darrell L. Pack Jr. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 01:54PM

Drying boxes are a great solution for dusty areas. They are cheap and easy to make.Good luck!

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 03:08PM

Might you have a source for plans for a drying box? I understand the idea behind them, but seeing as I am sometimes creatively challenged, I'd love to get an idea of where to start :)

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 03:36PM

Scott...here's a good one on the top left of the pic... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 19, 2006 04:14PM

I do all my finishing in the same area where I turn wood and cork. EVA too. The place is very dusty, but it doesn't wind up in the finish. The key is not to do these tasks at the same time. Dust isn't a problem until it gets airborne. Work when others aren't moving around in the area or only before an hour or so after doing anything that creates dust. Remember, it's airborne dust you're up against, not that stuff lying on the floor or the shelves.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 04:35PM

...besides the "airbornes" caused by movement in the work area...be weary of the junk that may fall from above your work area...e.g. if there's a room above your work area with kids and dogs mucking about....(you mentioned an older house) stuff can fall on your wraps.....goes back to limiting the movement.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 04:54PM

Domenic
I had some of the same "issues" as you are probably having. My choices were to install an honest to goodness wallboard ceiling or to put up a plastic layer on the rafters above my head. I would have preferred the real ceiling - but because of pipes and electical connections I ruled that out as I wanted to have full access to repairs or extensions to water / electric lines. In the end I installed plastic sheeting - which keeps all the dust that gets shaken loose when people walk overhead from settling on finishes. In the photos I posted over the past couple of days you'll also notice a standard shop vac that I can attach behind the wood lathe that comes in very handy too for other dust collection chores. I also installed a rollup pice of plastic that I can drop over the four wall mounted rod dryers. Best bet though is as Tom has already posted don't start a rod drying and then turn to a sanding project.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 04:58PM

Do a web search on clean rooms, there's a lot of useful info. I work in class 10000 and class 1000 rooms daily. Email me if I can be of help. A lot of fancy equip is not always required, just a little know-how on air flow might help with some situations.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 05:02PM

Don't worry about it, customers don't care as long as you don't try and charge them extra for it. Jesse

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 05:23PM

Only time I charge extra for it Jesse, is when I get a mosquito in there and encapsulate him. That calls for extra. The dust, no problem. It's free.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 06:17PM

LOL @ Randy mmmmmmmmmm thinkings caps on
randy if you use some of that old skool finish (that muck that REALLY goes yellow) then you could really stick the price up and tell the punter its amber worth a lot of money usually

Just a thought

Posted by: Bob Barlas (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 07:40PM

You can prevent the dust problems by setting a schedule for certain jobs. I strip old wraps, drill and turn cork on mondays and vacuum well. Wrap and cp tue and wed. Finish Thur and Friday. I run a honeywell air filter overnight mon, tue and wed. NOT thur and friday when finish is setting up. No dust problems.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: January 19, 2006 07:45PM

To help settle that airborn dust before finishing try a spray bottle filled with water. Do a fine misting of the room/area before settling in for the finish work. As the others said don't do any unnecessary moving around after your finish is applied. I generally get out of the room and only come back to see that the dryer motor is still running (the ones I use have a bad habbit of skipping...I hate those clutched motors).

Jay

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 19, 2006 08:10PM

Get yourself a length of 8" PVC pipe. Cut it in half lengthwise. Make round fittings to enclose the ends with the drying motor outside. Add hinges and foam seals throughout. Now you have a contained, dust free environment for the curing of the finish.

Posted by: Tom Danielson (---.dtccom.net)
Date: January 19, 2006 09:23PM

Tim great idea. I have a small gunsmithing business and you just gave me a great idea for my hot box (tube) to control the rust when slow rust bluing a barrel when a customer requests that process. Dont really have a dust problem in the shop but just as a precaution when drying a my rods I'll make a set-up as you have discribed. An ounce of prevention....

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.nas1.monroe2.la.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 12:00AM

Another suggestion for limiting dust -- do not allow rugs or carpet in the room. It is amazing the amount of dust they hold, and there really is no way to get it dust-free.

Harry

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 06:31AM

I try to do my finishing at night when everyone has hit the hay.That way the lack of movement upstairs keeps the dust down.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.dsl.bcvloh.ameritech.net)
Date: January 20, 2006 11:05AM

You guys are the best! Thank you for the great ideas.
On the flip side, you've now created more work for me! LOL!
I gotta run...I have to purchase plastic sheeting, an air filtration unit, and the materials for a drying box!

Thanks Again!
Domenic

Posted by: Josh Martineau (---.twcny.res.rr.com)
Date: January 20, 2006 03:44PM

Also, I like to get the room nice and warm before I apply the finish, then close the heat vent to keep dust from being stirred up when the heat turns on during the night

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster