I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Andy Dears mandrels
Posted by: Geoff Creighton (---.gd-ns.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:35AM

I am a first time rodbuilder and I'm probably going to purchase the Grizzly Hobby lathe and drill for turning cork handles. I'm also looking at purchasing Andy Dears mandrels from the Lamar website, but I don't want to buy all 9 sizes. I will be building mostly light to medium spinning rods with butt diameters ranging from .32" to .50". I would like to get away with purchasing just 2 or 3. Is this possible and if so, which sizes should I purchase?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Geoff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Andy Dears mandrels
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:46AM

Geoff, I think you can ask Andy, and he'll help you selecting sizes. If all you plan to turn is cork, I would get teh size smaller than you need and ream to a tight fit. You have to do that anyway. I'd look at getting a 1/4, 3/8, and the size smaller than 1/2 - I do not know all the sizes Andy has, but that's what I woudl think I wanted based on the size rods you are currently building.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:03AM

I would go with the 3/8 and 5/8 and maybe add the 1/4 & 1/2 later. You'll definately want his new mandrels though. Lock collar and threaded end. Well worth it!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:40AM

i build small stream fy rods and except for fiberglass blanks (which i have only one waiting so far) the butt diameters are generally small. i have the 1/4 mandrel from andy and i don't see any need to have any other sizes right now. to insure this, i only order 1/4" inner diameter cork ringss or preformed grips. that's a pretty standard size for cork so i'm not compromising as far as i can tell.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:51AM

Geoff,
I recently bought the entire set of mandrels from Andy including some that are threaded. That's probably overkill but I build so many different size and types of rods that I will use them all at some point. I was a little unsure as to how to use the threaded mandrels but Andy stepped me through it and now it's a breeze. I'm sure if you just give him a call he can help you with whatever you need. Randy.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:05PM

Geoff,
We offer a special package on the 5 most common sizes 1/4" - 1/2" for a reduced price. This set handles 99% of the fly/spin/cast rods that people build. Only when you get up to heavier type freshwater and saltwater rods will you need the 9/16" and larger. I build mostly freshawater and light tackle saltwater rods, and RARELY do I ver use anything larger than 1/2". But if you build a lot of Saltwater then....

Feel free to give me a call or email if you have any questions!

Regards,

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.
210-845-7456

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 01:17PM

Andy's mandrels are great. I've got 2 of the sets he's referring to. I live in Minnesota and do nothing but freshwater rods. Unless you're doing salwater or a lot of Muskie rods, you won't need anything over 1/2.

If I had to pick only 2 mandrels I'd probably go 5/16 and 7/16.

I rarely use the 1/4".

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.stic.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 03:51PM

I agree with Matt...5/16, 3/8 and 7/16 will be the most used.

Andy Dear
Lamar Mfg.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 05:45PM

One of my sons gave me a set of Andy's mandrels Christmas before last. Andy talked my son Mike in getting me a set of five. So far I have used all five in my handle work. I make a lot of rods for my family members.

Posted by: david daniels (---.farmerswireless.com)
Date: January 22, 2006 06:25AM

hello andy,
do you have a web site that i can go to? i am interested in purchasing a set of your mandrels. thanks.

Posted by: Fred Crum (---.dsl.scrm01.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 22, 2006 05:50PM

David;
Lamar real seats, to the left.

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster