I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:50AM

As I get ready to do my first rod I have come across a problem before I get started. How do you get a perfectly smooth finish on the rod when you have rod supports in the middle of your rod. I want to have finishes like whats on Lamiglas or one of the other name brand factory rods. Any help would be helpful, never wraped a rod before.

Catch A Big One

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 09:59AM by Tim Hurst.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Finish
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.ded.btitelecom.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:00AM

I am new also but I thought that ONLY the guide wraps were finshed. Am I missing something & TIA?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:05AM

There are several rod blanks that are "matt" finished.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:18AM

Tim,
Is your question how and where do you hold or support the blank while putting a coating on the whole blank without the spots where you supported it showing? If that is the question look at the tip of most blanks and you will see that there is no finish. The blanks are usually held by the tip where the area with no finish will be covered with the tip guide.
If your question is just how do you apply epoxy to the wrapping then I do not think that I understand the question. If that is the case try asking again and maybe we will understand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 10:22AM by Emory Harry.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:28AM

On 99% of my standup and full length trolling rods I finish the entire blank with Flexcoat. I have the butt of the rod in the dryer chuck and support it at the reel seat. Smaller rods you support at a point between guides and don't finish that area untill the rest of the rod is finished, now move your support to a different spot [wrap blank with tape so as not to scar finish with support] and finish that one spot. At this point the purist are having a heart attack but I work to please those that matter, "My Customers" Jesse

Date: January 18, 2006 10:31AM

On 99% of my standup and full length trolling rods I finish the entire blank with Flexcoat. I have the butt of the rod in the dryer chuck and support it at the reel seat. Smaller rods you support at a point between guides and don't finish that area untill the rest of the rod is finished, now move your support to a different spot [wrap blank with tape so as not to scar finish with support] and finish that one spot. At this point the purist are having a heart attack but I work to please those that matter, "My Customers" Jesse

Date: January 18, 2006 10:33AM

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.138.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:35AM

I suspect that Tim is talking about coating a matte blank to make it glossy (ie Permagloss). Emory is correct in that you will hang the blank vertically to dry either from the tip or the butt end. I hope that you are not intending on coating the entire blank with a 2-part epoxy as that will add alot of weight and is not intended for that purpose.

Jay

Date: January 18, 2006 10:36AM

On 99% of my standup and full length trolling rods I finish the entire blank with Flexcoat. I have the butt of the rod in the dryer chuck and support it at the reel seat. Smaller rods you support at a point between guides and don't finish that area untill the rest of the rod is finished, now move your support to a different spot [wrap blank with tape so as not to scar finish with support] and finish that one spot. Jesse

Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 10:49AM

Jesse, I didn't hear you? Say it again please.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:09AM

Tim,

What kind of rod are you building? When you buy a blank, it already has the finish on it. Some use a gloss finish, some use glossy. No finish is necessary unless you are trying to do a color change. Since you are just starting, I'm guessing that you are talking about Flex Coat, etc. This is usually only applied on the guide wraps and any wrap areas. Just trying to determine exactly what you are trying to do.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.195.134.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:23AM

Tim, do a search on " painting a blank " all dates. Much info

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:46AM

personally, i like the matt(e) finishes. going for that stealth look ;-) if this is your first rod and you really want a gloss finish along the entire blank, i would suggest buying a blank which comes with a glossy finish from the factory. it just seems to me it's enough work as a first rod to get the thread wrappings finished well. and those are just small setions compared to a blanks' entire length.

still, if you decide to apply a gloss finish to the entire blank, as mike said make sure you're not using flex coat's thread finish. this would seriously add weight to the entire blank and would surely affect the performance, especialy if it's a light blank.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 11:59AM

Tim,
Since this your first rod keep it simple and just apply the finish to the guide wraps (and any cosmetic wraps, weave etc.) NOT the entire rod. Unless I'm mistaken it sounds like you intend on applying finish to the entire rod blank which you don't have to do. You didn't state what type of rod your building but unless it's a stout stiff rod like Jesse suggested finishing the areas with no thread wraps isn't necessary. Randy.

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 01:23PM

A matte finish is a finish. Unless you buy a blank that is simply sanded or has a spiral surface (from wrapping during the curing process), you are buying a blank that has had the finish already applied. I would hesitate to add a second finish unless you plan to really abuse the rod. Under normal use, a second finish will do more to kill the response of the blank than it will to protect it. IMHO you should trust the manufacturer and leave the blank alone.

Jim

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:15PM

nothing under the sun --nothing on God's green earth, including peanut butter can make a WORSE finish on a rod blank than flexcoat or any of the epoxy rod finishes. These thread finishes are not intended to be put on the entire blank and all who do so live to regret their foolish actions. In a few months you can strip the entire mess off with your finger nail. It chips, cracks, and in general makes one of a $$%&@#$ mess. Urethanes are the best choice for a finish if you must use one, but why use one on a new blank is a mystery to me.

Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster