I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guides and spacing for the Dan Craft Sig V 905-3
Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.88.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 12:55AM

I would like to get some feedback on possible guides and spacing for the 9' Sig V 5wt blank.

prehaps someone has built one and can offer suggestions.

my choice would be between 10 and 11 guides.

so from stripper to tiptop i reckon

fuji titanium frame Sic guides

1 TNSG#16
1 TNSG#12
1 TLSG#10J
1 TLSG #8J
1 TLSG #7J
1 TLSG #6J
5 TLSG #5.5

and a tiptop of 6mm

I'd prefer the fuji TLST tiptop but it only goes down to a 7mm ring... which seems a bit large for this 5wt dry fly trout rod.

I suppose i could do as Tom Kirkman suggest and use a single foot on the tiptop and fill the tip cavity with a small round bead head pin.

For any who have wrapped this blank before your recommendations on the guide spacing and size would be most welcome.

thanks,

marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guides and spacing for the Dan Craft Sig V 905-3
Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: January 18, 2006 03:52AM

Hi TWS.

I've build that blank. I used Amtac Ti-framed strippers, SF-recoils and recoil tip top. The list is below:
1 * AMTAC NIC #12
1 * RSF #4
1 * RSF #3
3 * RSF #2
4 * RSF #1
1 * RTTUL - L

I think it could well go with one guide less too. Every blank is a bit different - use static guide placement [www.rodbuilding.org] to determine the appropriate spacing for your blank.

I really like the SF-recoils since they keep the swing weight very low and the feel of this rod is awesome.

Cheers,
Sakari

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 03:53AM by Sakari Siipilehto.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 07:52AM

I have the same blank ready to build(already built on one of them a year or so ago) and am putting Fugi titanium SIC concepts on it as well.I haven't figured out the guide spacing yet,but am planning on adding a line tamer to it(I like adding the tamer on most of my rods from 5wt and up),so I will "probably" use 11 guides total.I will test cast the rod both with,and without the tamer to see which I prefer.I would probably go with 10 guides total if omiting the tamer.

I plan on using a double foot 16 for the stripper(the titanium SIC concept guides are so light that I can go with a larger size without worrying about weight much),followed by a 12 double foot 4" up from the stripper,then single foot fly guides from 10 quickly down to size 6 for the rest.The guides are so light compared to other ceramics that I didn't see the need to go with the 5.5's,plus the 6's line up with the size 7 TLST top better and clear knots and loops better.For the tip top I am using the size 7 TLST rather than the concept top.It looks much more like a fly top to me than the other tops available and I really can't notice enough of a difference between the size 6 and 7 rings for it to bother me(and I am usually a VERY fussy person).

The SIG V blanks are SO light and responsive that any excess weight really effects them,probably more than most blanks.I originally planned on using Forecast zirconia guides,but after taping them on I found they were just way too heavy,and they slowed the blank recovery down to much for my tastes.Same thing with the 8ft9 4wt SIG V I just did.I ended up pulling off the zirconia guides I originally planned on using,and going with single foot Recoils to keep it light and crisp.Of course,with a fly line on during casting I doubt I would notice the difference much,but without a line on it during the old wiggle test,the blanks just didn't feel right at all.

I plan on building a 5wt FT soon and will probably do it the same way.

Recoil guides are a great choice for these blanks as well and would be my choice if not going with the Fugi titanium SIC's.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 08:07AM by Tony Dowson.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 08:17AM

I built on the Cascade (Rainshadow) RXF1085-3 recently - different blank but 9' 5wt 3pc like yours. I use 16 stripper, 12 tamer, 10, 7 then 6s. I would skip the 8 and get down to the small guides quicker. To me the 8 is a high guide, almost as high as the 10, and the 7 is so close to the 6 that I don't feel I get a good straight line path when I try to throw an 8 in. After my 10 I always get straight down to the running guides. Heavier casting rods are a different story; then I like the height the 8 gives me (still wrapping on top).

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.88.---)
Date: January 18, 2006 09:24AM

Excellent feedback everyone.

I like your idea of getting down to the running guides quickly Marty I think i'll omit the 8 and go to # 6 running guides straight away.

Tony I also like the 7mm ring TLST tiptop and suppose 6mm running guides would not be much different than 5.5mm. I used the 5.5mm on my 8'6" FT 3wt and was impressed.

Sakari,

this blank is different than all others i've built. Reputedly it is very light and responsive. I concur about the number of guides, the fewer the better. I don't see a need for a tamer but I'll tape one on and test cast and static guide test before commiting.

so far i've gotten an Airflo WF5F to go with my #6 tioga reel to mount on this rod.

i think i'll also get a cortland 444 DT5Floating line - the peach colored one - for roll casting.

finally, I reckon this blank is light enough to utilize the little cigar shaped bamboo burl cork handle i mounted on my FT 3wt

[www.theworriedshrimp.com]

however, rather than using to slide rings I have an extra set of slide and pocket cap hardware that i used on a FT 7wt i recently completed...

[www.theworriedshrimp.com]

I'll post my progress when this project begins.

thanks all,

marc - tws

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/18/2006 09:30AM by Marc Forrest.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster