I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

1-wt Blanks
Posted by: Iwan Jones (146.203.56.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 12:18PM

I am looking for advise regarding 1-wt rod blanks.

Any of you guys who have built 1-wt rods willing to share information on what blank you used and why built on that blank.

I am currently looking at Dan Craft or an Orvis Superfine blanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1-wt Blanks
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 12:47PM

I like my Dan Craft 6 ft. 10 in. very much, and so do many others. Lots of info in the post archives use the search engine and use the "all dates". I use a 1 wt Rio Pocket Water line on it, but I bet a Triangle Taper ,if they make one that light, would also be a fine line.

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.224.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 01:52PM

The Sage is way more expensive and heavier than a DC. The DC will handle all 1 weight and many 2 weight lines. The Sage color is nice though. Don

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 02:51PM

I've used a Sage TXL 3 wgt. and would recommend you take a look at their TXL 1 wgt. It's a beautiful rod and casts really well.

Posted by: Dave Jamieson (206.239.195.---)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:41PM

I've been thinking about building one of those DC one weights, but I've never cast anything below a 3 weight. I was wondering: how large a fly can you throw with a one weight line? Would it even be possible to cast, say, a size 12 dry fly, or is that too much fly and too much wind resistance?

Just curious,

Dave

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:47PM

i think you could cast a size 12 but it would not be pretty. i fished mine the other day and wanted to throw a wooley bugger and it was hard to turn it over. the place for a one wt is size 16 to 20+ dries.

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: January 17, 2006 07:00PM

A size 12 dry? You can throw a size 6 beadhead on a DC! But you must choose your line with care. A RioPW1F (discontinued) can throw a lot of fly on a furled leader. The new Monic microtapers are pretty thin, I have a DT3 on a rod and a 12 is about the limit for that line even on a 1 weight rod. In other words, I could fish the DC with a Rio most all day and not feel limited. Don

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: January 18, 2006 08:07AM

I've used a lot my light combination of Scott G 8' #2 2-pc and SA Ultra3 DT2F - even with #2 3xl marabou muddlers. You won't be casting very far these but with low line classes that is usually not even desired to be done. 45' is no problem - for me at least.

It ain't pretty, but if you're carrying only one combination, the fish aren't huge and you may have to use very delicate presentation with small flies go light and don't care if you have to toss them big ugly stremers with that combo too since it can be done.

Cheers,
Sakari

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster