I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Interesting test results of the New Guide Concept method
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.sanarb01.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 10:52AM

I made a “template” for the New Guide Concept method (instead of using a the edge of a table) by taping several pieces of poster board together, drawing a straight line on it, and then another line at a 4 degree angle (all my reels have this upsweep) that intersected the previous straight line at one end. Now I could lay my blank with the reel attached over the lines and move them up and down until they were perfectly aligned. I drew another angled line next to my centerline to represent the actual taper of a blank and then marked the actual guide heights (underside of foot to top of frame) for 30-25-20-16 etc. between it and the 4 degree line. Now I can see what guides I would need for a specific layout prior to ordering my guides (if using a 4 degree upsweep reel).

Then I wanted so see how Fuji’s Concept spacing actually looked in comparison. I mounted a piece of wood on my 6’ level and drilled a hole in it to represent the same distance between “blank and spindle tip”. Fuji’s butt guide location for an 8’ spinning rod is 53.25”. On my blank, that puts the butt guide 25.75” from the spool face. I marked this spot on my level, placed a 30mm guide there, and worked backwards (towards the front) positioning the remaining 16-10-8L-7-7 guides at the Fuji specs. Then I ran a string from the front end, through all of the guides and into the hole in the block that represented the tip of the spindle. The line touches the outer inside edge of all of the guides 16mm and forward. I was amazed see the line had passed through the exact dead center of the 30mm butt guide! I’m wondering if this was by chance or the exact result Fuji had intended?

Putting 9 guides within a 53.25” span seems like a lot to me on an 8’ blank, but since the sole purpose of it will be to land Salmon from a boat, I’m going to build it with the Fuji’s recommended spacing. I cast this set up before and it was second best of my results anyway. Just wondering if anyone wastes as much time as I do in trying to understand why certain things work the way they do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Interesting test results of the New Guide Concept method
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:03AM

I myself always try to put the line or edge as close to the center of the rig as possible. Just me. I also try to use Fuji concept guides for spin rods. Seem to be set to a good height.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:04AM

You aren't wasting your time when you do these type things. You're learning and gaining experience that will ultimately be helpful down the road. I only wish more builders would take the same approach that you have, although I do realize that many just want to put together a rod to two and aren't really interested in a long term hobby.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.tci.com)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:30AM

Thanks for this most interesting post!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: January 18, 2006 08:27AM

Tim - You say that the Fuji set up was 2nd best in your casting? What was your first?

By the way...I don't think that was a waste of time either. I totally agree with Tom. Maybe because I do stuff like that too! I could be biased though.

Thanks

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster