I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balancing a Fly Rod - Interesting Article
Posted by: Bob Crook (---.onspeed.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 05:58PM

Thought this might be of interest to those asking about balancing a fly rod..

[www.thenewflyfisher.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balancing a Fly Rod - Interesting Article
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 06:34PM

Bob,

Glad to find there are other voices of reason out there.

Thanks for posting that link.

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.155.51.212.Dial1.Baltimore1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 07:42PM

Good points made in that article - if you are a distance caster and not wanting to waste energy in the cast. However, for my fishing, which rarely results in a cast longer than 50', all the casting is effortless. Plus, holding the rod and mending line is easier for me if I have an outfit that "wants" to stay roughly parallel with the water when I am holding it. For my fishing, lighter is not always better.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2006 07:48PM

He makes some good points but misses the boat on others. Weight is certainly an enemy, but where that weight occurs along the rod can be a greater enemy. Oh well, not my intent to criticize his point, just that there are other variables that he either didn't consider or chose not to discuss in the same article.

One last thing - the only way to make a rod "dampen" is to drop it in the water.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:02PM

Interesting article. It seems to me that you can infer from the article that adding weight to the butt of any rod will increase the inertia that must be overcome when casting and, all other things being equal, will result in the rod not casting as far. It makes perfect sense to me unless I am overlooking something.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:50PM

Yes, interesting article that deserves some thought and consideration. Where are all the physical scientists? Bodies at rest / bodies in motion - weight of line "in play" and if in or on back cast vs weight of reel/line behind the hand .... OUCH! Gee my wrist hurts thinking about it. Besides - I'm overjoyed if I can get the line out 30 feet, where I want it to be and the leader ahead of the fly line.

Date: January 16, 2006 10:26PM

I think the simplest point to take from such an article is that building a rod that is as light as is practical will reduce fatigue (that's what all that inertia you have to overcome from the extra weight causes, fatigue).

'Balancing' a fly rod isn't possible, and adding additional 'weight' to that end is not productive OR helpful when you consider CASTING the rod. How you 'hold' it while fishing is awefully subjective and there are several variables, but I'd argue with confidence that adding the weight required to 'balance' a nine foot fly rod to horizontal in any 'static' situation would be more destructive to effective casting AND generate more fatigue over a fishing day than having the lightest practical outfit.

Old ideas die hard. Even here, where you'd expect this to be common knowledge.

You should of seen all the trouble I had trying, unsuccessfully I might add, to convince those on a fly fishing site that shortening a blank from either end SLOWS the action of the rod.....You see, they are convinced that cutting some from the tip will make it 'stiffer' and thus, to them, 'faster'.....

Good Luck!

Buddy Sanders

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:37PM

Buddy:
I still think you should be a Politician

Date: January 17, 2006 10:10PM

Steve,

OUCH!!!!!

My profound apologies!

I'm truly sorry, and I promise to 'try' to never do that again.

I'm going away now....

Buddy

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 11:20PM

Buddy:
No need to apologize. I love reading you speeches.
It’s one of the great things about living in a free country. Every buddy gets a vote.

Posted by: Richard Carlsen (---.dyn.avci.net)
Date: January 18, 2006 06:33AM

There are two separate and distinct applications involved here that are being discussed.

The one in the article (which is very interesting to say the least) is simply casting; distance casting with a fly rod.

The second is fly fishing for fish.

These are two very different activities with different goals based on entirely different desired results.

The first is to see how far one can cast a line, under controlled conditions......period. Nothing else.

The second is to attempt to place a fly on a naturally occurring body of water under non-controlled conditions in such a way that a fish will take the offering.

An attempt to transfer the lessons of the first to the second "in toto" is not realistic nor appropriate. An attempt to learn from the first and apply where applicable in the second is realistic and laudable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster