I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Me, Ignorance or both?
Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.lax.untd.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 11:46PM

Hi Everybody,
I really hate to sound ignorant and hope this question doesn’t have me looking that way. For the years I have been fishing and building fishing rods I think that I am the only person I know of that has put the drag setting on the labels of a fishing rods. I do include the line rating and lure weight but I just wonder why this is not done more often. So many stories I have heard of rods breaking on the hook set and I am sure you builders have heard them as well so it just puzzles me why manufacturers don’t include a drag rating on the labels.
I would think that a great percentage of the fishing public would not know the proper drag settings for the line rating on a rod and to go a step further the strength of the knots they have used for the rig they are fishing in a lot of cases. I still see fishermen that have been out there fishing for as long as I have been alive tying up some stuff that I would trust bait to let alone a nice sized fish.
Is it just me?

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Me, Ignorance or both?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:32AM

Wylie - I have the opportunity to watch a lot of "fishermen" set hooks. I will bet that over 90 percent of them will lock down the reel drum on a casting reel with their thumb during hook set. I think that is one of the primary reasons that more casting rods get broken during hook set than spinning rods. This along with the guides on bottom gives a spinning rod longer life as compared to a casting rod with conventional guide placement.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2006 10:29AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Curtis Beers (---.199.204.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2006 08:48AM

It is not you, it is most of the remaining world. A serious fisherman will set their drag with a scale and keep the line weight within the design limits of the blank. Most of the guys I fish with and give my rods to are trying fish as light as possible because that's how we get our jollies but, I have seen more than once, a light spinning outfit with 50# spectra.
When I see this, I always remind myself over and over:
"genius has limits but, stupidity knows no bounds"

Date: January 16, 2006 10:15AM

Thank you gentlemen I seem to feel the sanity flowing once again,
I sure can see the star drag issue causing breakage.
Okay I am guilty of the fifty pound line on the fifteen pound rated rod but it was only for testing the blanks the fun way. Yep, surf casting three ounces on that little six-foot rod for all I had. Sure made me look like a screwball out there and the shark I hooked into had me feeling like one with the Rod Bond cracking and the bowing to the fish to feed him more of the reel and not so much of the rod that was bent to the reel seat.
Hey I just had an epiphany! Maybe 90 percent of America is out there trying to improve the sport we all love so much. :P
No I haven't cracked yet!

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 17, 2006 06:54PM

It would do little good to put the drag setting on most rods until reel manufacturers start calibrating their drags systems so the fishermen can match the reels setting, to the rod “drag ratings”. But if you could enroll the reel makers to do so would be awesome.

Date: January 17, 2006 09:05PM

I am not sure how that would work with the settings on the reels. Some reels do have a preset like the Avet I have planned soon but with waring drag discs and such it would make that a pretty tough engineering feet.
Personally I always use a digital scale when I set my drags. With the Avet I ahve planned I am going to have to make sure I get it set because the rod it's going to be for could be over powered by the reels drag. This Avet's drag can put on 16 to 20 pounds drag and the rod will be rated for 15 to 40. I know I could go with a Penn HT-100 drag system doing about 10 to 11 pounds with this rod but the casting will not be the same and the drag will most likely be burnt on a Penn in the first year of toying with the sturgeon. I have seen many Penns smoked by the sturgeon since I have moved here.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster