I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flocking as an "indoor sport"
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:18PM

Holy cow what a mess! Yeah, I read all the articles and the material that came with the DonJer kit & set up a plastic lined collection box . Paid attention to "glue and then more glue" ... "flock and then flock again" . Well, now I'll seriously watch Bill Stevens in Charlotte - maybe even twice. I've got that stuff like EVERYWHERE in the shop. Of course I can't do much about it for the next two / three days while this all sets up. Oh, the grip? Sure looks nice! 1/ Shoulda used an airgun instead of the yellow duster canister that came with the kit; 2/ proably could have done this with electrostatic deposition (assuming I took some serious 'think time').
Bottom line I'm happy with the way the grip looks - I'll know about feel three days from now. Question: As I was brushing on the glue I wondered if anyone had yet thought about or attempted to deposit this stuff in color bands or designs? Wrap the area with nylon strapping tape where you didn't want a deposition brush on black; remove tape & flock then ; recoat with say blue and make it look like an inlay? Any thoughts on this (like "you're nuts, cause the tape will make a horrible mess when you try to peel it off or be permanently under the glue") ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flocking as an "indoor sport"
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:42PM

Ken, Are you going to be at the show in Upper Marlboro next weekend? If so stop by my booth and shoot the breeze. Jesse

Date: January 14, 2006 03:30PM

Not only going -- will have my own set up "goin on" ... Not sure yet what I'll have there - likely just be turning out a fishing rod and chatting with folks... and probably sending them your way for those that "just have to have it now". This just looked like a solid local show last year so will participate this year

Posted by: KEVIN BOGAN (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 04:09PM

KEN, AROUND TWENTY YEARS BACK A TACKLE REP TOLD ME ABOUT A MACHINE, DEVICE, WHATEVER THAT FLOCKED GRIPS. HIS EXPLANATION WAS THAT THE GRIP WOULD BE COATED WITH GLUE, THEN PUT IN THIS MACHINE. THE MACHINE WOULD CREATE SOME SORT OF "ELECTROSTATIC CHARGE" THAT WOULD DRAW THE NYLON FIBERS TO IT, AND MAKE THEM ENTER THE GLUE 'END FIRST'. BISCAYNE RODS FROM FLORIDA I BELIEVE USES THIS METHOD. HIS GRIPS ARE HIGH IN COST, BUT BEAUTIFUL. VERY DURABLE AS WELL. KEVIN BOGAN

Date: January 14, 2006 04:56PM

Kevin,
Correct and their flocking material is longer material - actual visible nylon spikes. This material is more like dust. I'll grant that this was the first time I tried this and that I'm not the overall neatest person around. I need to work on a better containment method. "Blowing" this stuff from the shaker can was "interesting" . I started out with a light beige flannel shirt and wound up with dark grey with '"racing stripes" (clean areas) at the crook in the elbows. . This is likely a combination of inexperience, large holes on the shaker can and overly vigorous application. I just checked the grip - visually and it still looks GREAT>

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2006 05:31PM

Ken,

If you'll look at the photos in RodMaker again, you'll see that I did some multi-color flocked grips by the same type process you mentioned.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 06:06PM

But were your teeth still white? LOL!!

I got a little package today, Ken... Still messing with new toys...

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 14, 2006 07:10PM

Thanks Tom... Duh-oh Soooooooooooooo "Homer"

Randy, Hope you can now stop buying Bics and give momma back her scissors

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 08:05PM

I agree it tends to get everywhere but the gun may actually make it worse. I try to catch a decent day and do it outside with the wind, if any, blowing in a favorable direction. A dust mask is a must no matter how careful you are, I don't like the idea of nylon in my lungs. Something you might try is going to the local hardware store and getting a storage container and modifying it into a booth. It works great for me and gives a place to put everything when I'm done.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 08:08PM

Why don't you take your new toy to the Maryland show and "flock" Jesse! I can see him now running out of the joint with Fuzzy Furr from head to toe! I told you to wait!!

Gon Fishn

Date: January 14, 2006 08:33PM

Application Of Nylon Flock - Cannister - Air Assisted Spray - Electrostatic Wand

Attend the Charlotte Flocking Workshop and you will be able to observe all methods being performed right in front of your eyes. You be the judge of the results of each method. Leave the Workshop with the information necessary to be able to repeat your chosen process in a professional manner in your shop.

A well done flocked grip is a significant upgrade to a fine custom rod.

There will also be marketing information available that will assist your sales efforts.

Bill Stevens

Date: January 14, 2006 08:57PM

Sammy Mickel: Go to My Control Center at the top of the board and confirm your email address where I can communicate with you via email You email address is "hidden" unless you confirm it by double entry.

Thanks
Bill Stevens

Posted by: Daren Howard (---.sbc.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 02:33PM

Has anybody considered doing this inside of a sandblasting cabinet such as the following from Harborfreight?
[www.harborfreight.com]
Seems like this would be the answer to the dust everywhere issue. I haven't tried flocking yet due to dust management but am considering it.

Date: January 15, 2006 02:41PM

If you can wait for Bill's demo in Charlotte do so. Bill delves into every aspect of a project well before he says "I'll do a seminar". I'm sure he will have many tips, tricks and experiences to relate.... I'm also sure he'll have schematics, diagrams and such to present. He is very thourogh about everything he undertakes. Bill sent me a "you shoulda done this" email off-board that would have saved me two hours with a shop vac.

Date: January 15, 2006 02:49PM

Here's what I think would be "THE" way to perform this task - which way earlier in another post I failed to explain properly when I asked about a cardboard tube for a containment system --- need something that doesn't hold a static electricity charge while the object of the flocking does. Looks easy --- and LOOKS ARE DECEIVING

www.falstad.com/vector3de/

Posted by: Alexander Chunikhin (---.D-IP01.lipetsk.ru)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:27PM

Gentlemen

Electrostatic flocking equipment is my bread. I'm in flock business about 15 years.
I hate flock, I'm tired of him. But I know something about it.
Can I help you ?

This is a little of flocked object.
[www.flock.ru]
Electrostatic flocking, nylon flock 0.5-2mm length.

Good flocking without electrostatic is impossible, absolutely.

Date: January 15, 2006 03:37PM

zdrastvuyjte Aleksandr -- i spacibo !

Posted by: Ralph O'Quinn (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 03:56PM

Re:all
The sandblasting cabinet would be impossible to use and totally unneccessary. It seems to me that this containment thing is getting out of hand. Lets don't scare away potential new flockers. This technology is bound to get a large following in the rodbuilding community. I've been flocking for several months now and have the electrostatic flocker. I do most of my work with it, but find an occasional use for the mini-flocker. I wouldn't hesitate doing some flocking in my living room should the need arise. I simply built a large containment box from a cardboard shipping box, lined it with the plastic from a garbage sack and set it upon a handy little floor cabinet I happened to have laying around. When I want to do some flocking, I drag the box out from under the table its under (in my rod room) and just flock away. Oh sure there's a little flocking dust around and about, nothing to get excited about, I have a hardwood floor (actually its laminate) in my rod room, and the bit of wayward flocking that finds its way there is easily removed via the vaccum cleaner or wisk broom. During the operaton I get a bit of flock on my hands, but have never noticed any danger of it entering my lungs, I've never noticed any flock on my clothes and don't even wear an apron. Granted I'm not near as fastidious a person as some people I know. A good friend of mine has a wife who has stated very emphatically that none of that nonsense will ever be allowed in MY house-- she was referring to my rod room and the total chaotic appearance it conveys -- when I assured her that I know exactly where everything is -- it only seemed to aggravate her further. Just a little common sense is all that is necessary here. How neat and orderly is your normal world --( mine is a bit chaotic) thats all you need to follow, to do your flocking. If I had to flock outside there would be many many a day between flocks. This NorthWest weather just isn't designed to promote hobby's of this sort.

Ralph

Posted by: Alexander Chunikhin (---.lipetsk.ru)
Date: January 16, 2006 05:13AM

Ken Preston

You are welcome! :)

If you understand Russian, you may to know a lot of interesting about flock on this web-site.
[www.flock.ru]

expert@flock.ru

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster