I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod decals
Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 01:59PM

I have a store which makes decals neer my home in gig harbor, WA; they have made several for my truck to put in my back window. I was wondering if this type of decal that only has the letters, w/out the clear backing would work on custom rods. that is....would they be too bulky to cover with finsh....I've only used gel pens in the past. Has anyone used this type?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod decals
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:12PM

Hi Robert,
I have to letter our trucks ( RGVW, DOT, etc.) these are single letters on a sheet . Yes they're too thick for a rod , besides that , I don't think they can make a letter small enough. These type letter are a vinyl run under a computer controled knife that cuts the letters only and not the backing.

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:13PM

Really depends on their thickness. I've used mailing labels in the past and they work fine. Much thicker than that and I don't think I would get the results I desire. On big rods, like larger saltwater stuff, you can get away with thicker material. It takes more epoxy to cover it well, but on larger blanks that's ok. For small blanks I'd stick with a thin lable.

I suggest Decal Connection. They are cheaper than you might think.

Jay

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:35PM

I used to have a local sign/decal maker do some decals for me. There aren't many machines out there that can cut small enough for rod decals. The different materials used for the signs/decals are varying thicknesses; some are definitely thin enough for rod decals. Decal Connection would still be the way to go, though.

At the time this guy was doing this for me, he said it was the only machine in the state that would make decals small enough (had the right knives, etc) for rods.

Putter
Williston, ND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2006 03:37PM by Randy Parpart (Putter).

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 02:44PM

I've got a local sign lady that CAN make vinyl transfers small enough, the only problem was that they lifted when I applied finish. I even tried Permagloss thinking it might tack it down before the epoxy and THAT practically made the vinyl jump right back into my hand.

Ditto on Decal Connection.
<--- Hit their link on the left.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 15, 2006 08:48PM

I got some decals from Decal Connection. Do not use Permagloss on Jimi's decals. They make a mess. Epoxy works fine.
Profit from my mistake.

Ed Smith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster