I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for wire line
Posted by: jeff miller (---.amerhonda.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 07:29PM

Planning ti build a couple of wire line rods. Will have 30lb stranded wire for trolling with dipsey divers.

Plan to spiral wrap and would like to get away from roller guides if possible. I have an American Tackle catalog and they claim that a file will not cut their Zirconia guide ring. Has anyone tried iether the Zirconia or Nanolite guides with wire line?

thanks
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for wire line
Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 08:18PM

HI JEFF
FUJI has the guides for wire, SILICON NITRIDE II RING

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Tim Stephens (---.propel.com)
Date: January 13, 2006 08:19PM

SIC rings are very high on the hardness scale. Fuji claims their Cermet rings are even harder. Others know more than I so I will be listening to them.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.145.195.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:14AM

Hi Jeff :

I live in Florida and have 2 wire rigs my self . I use mine for high speed trolling. I first built a rod with the guides in the Roberts Revolver . I like the idea for the lifting advantage , but I lost the insert on the tip when a big old Hoo called . Hart break isn't the word. Call me Old School but BOTH of mine have rollers now. When you troll at a good clip a lot of friction is built up on the tip = heat = expantion = guide failure . Maybe if you want to have a few guides , in that set up use a good back double roller + as many guides to the tip and use a roller top. Just my thing is that on the troll a lot of things happen and when it does it happens fast. Watch those fingers wire is not very forgiving. You are right the guide rings didn't score from the wire it just came apart. That was 2 years ago, maybe the New stuff is better now? Try it I did. It's not proven until it works .

Tight Wire
Bill

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:15AM

Just about any of the ring guides will work well with single strand wire line. The stranded wire acts just like a hack saw blade on ring guides and even SIC only last one season. Stranded wire is the norm here in the lower Chesapeake Bay so Aftco Roller Guides are the norm as far as guides go for wire line rods. Jesse

Posted by: jeff miller (---.amerhonda.com)
Date: January 15, 2006 02:31PM

Thanks Jesse, I do use stranded wire, sent an E-mail to American hoping they will say that the Zirconia rings will work. Have you tried spiral wrap with any of the roller guides? Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster