I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe for Foam, Cork, Wood
Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 09:12AM

I am intersted in hearing suggestions on lathes and turning tools for foam, cork, and wood. The main use would be for turning round and square stock eva and hypalon. It would also be used for cork grips and even some turning of wood fishing plugs. The longest grips would be around 14-16 inches. I am also curious to know what the best tool is for drilling the center hole in square stock foam, lathe or drill press? What tools are must haves for the three different materials. What other suggestions can you make? Thanks in advance!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe for Foam, Cork, Wood
Posted by: Gerry Rhoades (209.200.194.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 12:01PM

I can't help you about working with eva and hypalon, but I do know wood and cork. I have a Jet mini lathe that will supposedly turn 14" between centers. There's an extension bed you can get that will extend that to around 36". The Penn State Industries Turncrafter Pro with bed extension would also work. I personally wouldn't spend the extra money to get a variable speed lathe. I takes me less than a minute to change the belt on mine.

Working with cork is fairly simple, you only really need one tool, a file. I don't know what it's called, but it's about 8" long, flat on one side and convex on the other and doesn't have a tang for a handle. Lowe's and Home Depot both carry it.

As for working with wood, you might just get a lot of recommendations here that you need a spindle gouge. As someone who turns wood nearly every day, I can tell you that you DO NOT want a spindle gouge. If you want to turn spindles, then you should get one, but if not, don't waste the money. When I first got my lathe I got that same advice from a DVD that was otherwise very good. Thanks to some very accomplished turners, I got straightened out on what tools I really needed, but not before I had already purchased three spindle gouges. Those gouges are now in a drawer under my lathe where they rarely see the light of day. My working tools hang on the wall next to the lathe, a 5/8” skew, a 1” round nose scraper, a ¼” flat nose scraper and two parting tools, 3/16” and 1/16”. That’s all I need for reel seat inserts, pens, bottle stoppers, lidded boxes and bowls.

For making plugs for fishing, you probably only need a skew and a parting tool. I highly recommend the Crown Pro-PM 3/4" round edge skew. It's available from Craft Supplies USA in Provo, UT. The price in their catalog is $51.99. A skew is made for working "with" the grain, which is what you would be doing making fishing plugs. If you ever wanted to turn burl wood, you need a 1" round nose scraper, because neither a spindle gouge nor a skew is very good at turning burl. The other big advantage of a skew over a spindle gouge is that it is tremendouly easier to sharpen. Gouges are difficult to sharpen correctly without a special jig.

The only other tool you need is a parting tool. Craft supplies sells them starting at around $25.

You could also order a whole set of lathe tools from Harbor Freight. They won't be great but I know quite a few turners who have used them for several years and they're not terribly expensive.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, email me directly.

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (---.medfrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 13, 2006 05:05PM

Wow Gerry, what a wealth of information! I will for sure be in touch via email. I am curious though, do you feel a parting tool or a skew will work on the foam?

Date: January 13, 2006 05:13PM

I have absolutely no experience with the foam. The parting tool might work, but I really doubt that the skew would. The file might though.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 14, 2006 12:51AM

Gerry,

It's called a four in hand file. It has 2 parts that are rasps, and 2 that are bastard cut files. For the foam I would reccomend the flat and convex 3M body filler shaper blades. They would get you down close, then finish with drywall sheets or sandpaper.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2006 12:56AM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2006 09:58AM

4 in 1's? We've got those! We've got a variety of files & rasps. 4 in 1's run about $3.

As far as wood turning tools, the quality of the tooling out there varies GREATLY. I agree with Gerry on the Harbor Freight tooling being a deal and you can get a good variety for not a lot of $$, however you might be better served with a with a couple of quality turning tools from a manufacturer such as Robert Sorby. One of his tools would cost you more than an 8 piece set of Chinese tools, but it will last you the rest of your life. There's a HUGE difference in the quality of the steel and after selling Sorby for twenty five years (another business) I NEVER had a handle come loose, which is a claim the Chinese can never make (at least not w/o crossing their fingers behind their backs).

An EXCELLENT source for a variety of turning tools often at bargin prices are "The Woodworking Shows". This is a traveling circuit that makes 26 stops around the country each year. There are some serious deals to be had depending on the city it's in too. The bigger the city, the more vendors there are and the more vendors there are, the deeper the discounts run. The two that hit the L.A. area (my market) each year usually turn into a pricing "blood bath" by day two or day three. If there's one in your area, try and wait until the third day to visit. That's when you'll generally find the deepest discounts. This link will show you the cities & dates where it will be ---> [www.thewoodworkingshows.com]

As for turning EVA & Hypalon, they're a different animal than wood. The tools used for these are the same, but they "work" differently. Hypalon is actually an extruded rubber that (IMO) is tougher than EVA. I have to "lean" on the tools harder to remove material than I do EVA. I use a 4 in 1 to rough the piece, then use 80G followed by 120G mesh drywall paper as Bill mentioned to remove any tooling marks. I only shape Hypalon after it's glued up on the blank. It's so tough that I'm not sure a mandrel in a lathe chuck would get the job done. In fact, I always make sure I have a spare drive belt handy for my wrapper if I have much shaping to do, because it WILL stretch the belt to the point of slipping. The manufacturer that I get my Hypalon from grinds it to shape with aluminum oxide stones which are shaped to form the 50+ profiles they offer.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Shawn Taylor (66.155.194.---)
Date: January 16, 2006 09:08AM

Hey Mark, great stuff! I am actually waiting on a reply from Colleen on blank prices, so I'll bug her for more info when I get a reply. I would say more often then not I am referring to creating grips out of block EVA stock. Combining colors to create patterns and such. Much less work will be done with Hypalon, more shaping and such. I presently use a variety of papers as well as different grit screens. I assumed I would need some other tools to rough out the shapes of a block and could sand to finish using the methods I already know. So, that said, it sounds like I need a 4 in1 to start with. Any suggestions on tools for radical patterns suck as finger grooves for heavy offshore grips? Wood working will come later as the rod projects are building up fast and take priority. Unfortunately that woodworking show has come and gone in my area already.

How about lathes? Is one better suited to this then another? How about tool rests, does one shine above the rest? What horse power and rpm should I consider?

Thanks for the help!

ST

Date: January 16, 2006 10:29AM

Shawn, you need to "unhide" your email address.

In general I would agree with Mark about the Sorby tools, but the Crown Pro-PM tools will hold an edge a lot longer than the Sorby tools because of differences in metalurgy and a Sorby skew will give you a lot more grief than the Crown round edge skew.

You can do everthing you need to do with a Jet, PSI Turncrafters Pro or Delta lathe with the bed extension. Don't buy a lathe with less than a 1/2hp motor. Lots of people will, out of ignorance, recommend you get a Variable Speed model so you don't have to change belts. That simply isn't true. The VS models all have speed ranges and when you move into another speed range, you still have move the belt. The Jet VS has three ranges and I think the others are the same. Any lathe you buy will come with a tool rest, tailstock with revolving center and a drive center for the headstock, but that's it. No chuck and no tools.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster