I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When is SigV BETTER than FT?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 02:08PM

Everybody seems to love the FTs. Dan Craft seems to recommend them more than any other of his blanks. I admit I just like the sound of the SigV (perhaps reminds me of my Perigee 2pc 5/6wt; or perhaps because I'm a poor caster and the FT is so fast). When would you just really opt for the SigV?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When is SigV BETTER than FT?
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 03:52PM

My 8'4 4 wt Sig V is the cat's pajamas. I can't imagine a better trout rod. Well...I can imagine one...I just haven't cast it yet. I haven't cast the FT in the light wts, though.

But I do like my 7 wt FT (9 ft) more than I did my 7 wt (10 ft) Sig V. Seems to be a better fit for me...

So my limited experience would say "go for the Sig V's in the lighter weights and the FT in the higher weights.

just 2 cents...

Keith

Posted by: Mark Li (---.lvh.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:15PM

I have three SigV 9ft 5wts, 2 built with the standard tip and one built with the tip "stolen" from a 8'9" 4 wt. I also have a FT 9ft 5wt. Here are my observations:

The SigV is my primary fly rod. 75% of my fishing is dry fly fishing at about 60ft or so, which is standard on my home waters, the Upper Delaware River in NY/PA. I think this rod is a great blend of power and sensitivity. I can throw the whole line if I want to, but can also fish small dries at short to medium range without a problem. It protects tippet reasonably well. I have fished underneath fairly aggressively with this rod as well. It has been spawner fishing on the Madison River in Yellowstone for the past 4 years. I took it steelheading on the Great Lakes tributaries for 8-12 lb fish with no problems.

The FT is also a nice rod, but I find it less delicate when presenting dry flies. It can throw a line a country mile, and I generally use this rod on the Lower Delaware from striper fishing with 2/0 deceivers and the like. It tends to be pretty fast action with a soft tip, and requires a pretty heavy line like the Rio Grande or overlined to a 6 wt. With respect to "feel" the Ft is a bit heavier and more "disconnected" feeling to me compared to the Sig V.

Hope that helps.

Mark Li

Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 04:23PM

I also own a Sig V 8'4" 4 wt and I love it. The Sig V is lighter, and a more moderate action than the FT's. I think it works wonderfully with lighter tippets, but can still fire the line out there. From my experience, the FT's are a little less optimal for finesse type fishing. I would second Keith's recommendation of the Sig V for lighter weights, and the FT in the heavier.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:07PM

I'm thinking about a 9ft 9wt option if that sheds light - bass, salt, etc.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sea.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 06:06PM

Mark described the FT well...fast action...but soft tip. I'ld echo that.

9 ft 9 wt.....I'ld go with the FT.

My 2 cents...again..

Keith

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 06:15PM

I had a 9' 10wt V for a while that was an absolute cannon. In my hands, it cast further than the FT of the same weight and length.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.il-chicago0.sa.earthlink.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:45PM

I too have a 9 ft 10 wt Sig V, If there is a lighter ,nicer 10 wt, I haven't fished it. Love my 10 ft 7wt also. Both cannons when they have to be, but will throw anywhwere you need them to. I've built a few FTs including one 8 wt in a travel casting drift rod. They are heavier and can throw more varieties of lines, weights and shooting head systems.

Posted by: Sakari Siipilehto (---.ms.tut.fi)
Date: January 13, 2006 07:06AM

Hi.

I've got Sig V 905-3 and FT 905-4.

The Sig V is medium/medium fast and a bit on the stiff side. Nowhere near a broomstick. The recovery is fast. This is my primary rod. Casts perfectly from 0 to 100ft. Quite an easy rod with great feel. If this was a car it could be a Porche 911.

The FT is superfast and overall stiff very (except for the limber tip that makes this superfast action). The recovery is lightning fast with a #5 line. The rod is a demanding one. There is very distinctive feel in this rod, but I'd guess it doesn't open up for everyone. As a car this is perhaps a Formula 1.

Cheers,
Sakari

Posted by: Mike Anderson (209.64.87.---)
Date: January 13, 2006 08:27AM

I have the 7 and 10 wt FT, I also have a 5wt and the famous 8'4" 4 wt in a Sig V. I love em all but the 8'4 is da bomb! I use my FT's for shooting heads which I fish very often. If I was looking for a rod to mostly cast floating lines I would buy the Sig V every time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster