I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod shop
Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:03AM

I`ve just finished the shell of my "workshop measuring 5m(16 feet X 10 feet" (photos be up soon)
Can anyone tell me the best sort of floor to go with (carpet lino laminate etc).. Also what sort of temperature should i be looking at maintaining inside (remember I live in england ) also what size of bench would tou recomend I`m looking at a standard size "kitchen counter top " will this be suitable in your opinions ????
Thanks for any help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod shop
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:26AM

I would go with some type of laminate floor and not carpet. Makes things much easier to keep clean. I have my best results if the room is in the upper 60's to lower 70's for temps. Height wise I think a counter top height would work, but depends on the chair you would be using. For the depth of the bench, I think would be determined by what you plan to have on the bench. If you are going to have storage of items behind your wrapper and such, then a deeper bench would be needed. Hopping to be moving into a new house soon and am also working on plans for what iwill do for my rod shop. I have seen pictures of an island bench, I think this would be the best rather than a bench up against a wall.

Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:37AM

Did think about asn island but then thought if i want to work on the back of the rod i just have to rotate it 180 degrees saved a lot of space when you think you really want 5 feet all round plus 4 feet for bench 14 feet is a big space thanks for the temps tho

Posted by: Larry Salter (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:31AM

My rod bench is a island. It is 26" w X9'long X 28" tall. I have a wrapper on each side above this is a shelf 55" high on this shelf I keep plastic boxes for all my guides,and other parts under this is lights it is butted up to wall and then I have dryer rack on one wall with cabinets under this works good for me. Ken Preston posted pic of his new rod room that look great.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2006 10:38AM

Make sure your bench where you wrap allows you to get your knees/legs under it. This requires some overhang of the top and no supports in the area under your lathe/wrapper. Constantly banging your knees or legs against supports or up against a flat faced cabinet is no fun.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:06AM

I use a kitchen counter top and use narrow kitchen base cabinets under each end. Fairly inexpensive way to get a great work area if you used the cheaper inexpenisve unfinished cabinents

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:28PM

Height is of prime importance. I work standing. A solid wood 32 inch exterior door makes a fine bench top. Electrical connections also mounted in front of shelf overhang so that electrical plugs are also not all over th place. Best lighting you can afford and design. Hidden money drawer. When wrapping a set of guides do you move the rod and stay stationary or do you leave the rod stationary and move to the position. When wrapping a set of guides I stay in the same place and move the work piece. This work practice will have a lot to say about the lighting required and just how the shop is set up.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.sw.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:30PM

I used heavy duty adjustable shelf brackets. The brackets are sized for a 15" shelf. I set it up so that i can lower or raise the shelf, but i sit when i wrap and never had any need to adjust them .my shop is 24' long and my wrapping shelf is 16' long. I have a Pac bay wrapper on one end and a flex coat wrapper on the other.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 07:16PM

When I re-did my area I used laminate floor material - the snap loc flooring for the counter top. No problem cleaning any mess off it at all. Impervious to alcohol, MEK and other solvents. I can even let permagloss or epoxy harden on the surface and pop it off with a fingernail or a razor blade. It worked out so well that I'm going to put it on the floor too. I've been working on painted concrete and since I stand (as does Bill) my knees are "feeling the pain". The flooring has a foam pad that goes under it ( I didn't use it on the countertops) but on the floor it will furnish a bit of insulation and some "bounce" or cushion to the floor. Heed Tom's advice about the "knee room" even though I do most of my wrapping standing I do have occaisions when I want do drag over a bar stool to take the weight off. I think the photos of my shop are still on the photo board. If they are what you'll notice is that I elevated the top an additional 8 inches above the standard counter top. This puts the work closer to eye level and also allowed me to install a bank of deep and wide drawers for odd pieces & parts. Inside two of the large drawers I also installed "fliptops" - panels that are down when the drawer is closed with parts underneath. This gives me additional working space along side me while working.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:18PM

Allen,
My "rod room" is just about the same size as yours. I too use laminate flooring for ease of clean-up and it reduces the amount of dust in the room. I also keep a silent type air purifier running all the time. If you email me I'd be glad to send you some pics. Randy.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 09:48PM

I went & searched. I guess they went away with the old photos. I'll try and post some new ones. The roll- arounds are also completed now so that will make them more interesting.

shocking site :\
Posted by: William (---.andorpac.ad)
Date: March 03, 2006 09:32AM

RE:
Posted by: Margerye (---.net)
Date: March 05, 2006 03:50PM

NO CLICK!
Posted by: James (---.net)

this virus! :)
Posted by: Rebecka (---.net)

this virus! :)
Posted by: Rose (---.net)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster