I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rainforest 3 wt. vs. AmTac Matrix 3 wt.
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.client.insightBB.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:45PM

A new project here for an inlaw, I know I know foolish move. He wants a fairly fast or at least a true moderate fast 3 wt. rod about 8' in length. He's cheap, I do hope he doesn't find this forum. We've considered a Pac Bay Rainforest 7' 9" 2 piece 3 wt and an AmTac Matrix 8' 3wt. Has anybody had any experience building either of these blanks? His main emphasis is that it's not a wet noodle. One last question, what's the difference between knotty cork grips and bamboo burl? Hey as always thank you for your insight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rainforest 3 wt. vs. AmTac Matrix 3 wt.
Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:40PM

Another "inexpensive" alternative that I really like as a mod/fast is the Forecast (Batson RX6) 7' 9" 3wt. imo, a sweet spot in the RX6 line-up.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2006 03:52AM

Matrix 7'9" 3 weight is a bit whippy, wouldn't be surprised if the 8' is the same.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:14AM

i wrapped the pac bay rainforest 7'-9" 3 wt, 2pc fly blank last year and it is VERY whippy BUT i used single foot ceramics throughout. i intend to rewrap with single foot wire guides someday and see if that makes a diff. i think the recovery action is being adversely affected by the current guides. or at least i hope that's the case.

the moderate/mod/fast/fast action terms are all subjective of course but i would venture to say the tiger eye blanks are a slightly faster action than the forecast/RX6/rainforest blanks in that line/rod weight. they're my latest favorite in "low-cost" blanks right now, especially nice in the blanks rated 3/4 weight at 8 foot or shorter.

knotty burl cork = ugly
bamboo burl cork from Pac Bay= very nice
(just kidding)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: David A. Fuller (131.60.10.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:08PM

Rob,
My vote goes to the Matrix. I make a lot of them...

Good Wrappin !
David A. Fuller,
Great Basin Fishing Rods
Full-Time RV'r Traveling- n- Fishing
www.mytripjournal.com/FullersBigAdventure

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.rpsa.ricoh.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:40PM

I have built the 7'9" 3wt, 2pc Matrix and it is a medium action rod (it is a little whippy). I have also built the Hook/Hackle 7'9" 3wt, 2pc (charcoal) and it reminds me of a Loomis GL3 blank. It has a much faster action than the Matrix for about the same price.

Russ

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:55PM

Eric - I just finished 2 Tiger Eye 8' 4/5 (I rate it a 5). I agree that they are faster than RX6. I didn't CC them so it's a subjective opinion on my part. I did like the blank's action for this length and line wt. It was the first time with the color, which I really liked as well. The only "problem" was curves in the tip on both. But, not so bad that I was disappointed with the final rods. I will use other lengths/line wts (probably <5) in the future. But, I just really like the way the RX6 7' 9" performs for me on small streams. imo, it's a great roll caster - it even makes me look reasonably compotent.

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:02PM

cool steve. i think it's been mentioned before those slight curves or a little case of the wiggles , often seen on the tip section, is kind of normal. i have seen two forecast RX6 blanks with them, and in my experience, with none of the tiger eyes. just lucky i guess. :-)

eric
fresno, ca.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster