I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sewing motor
Posted by: steve smotherman (---.fuse.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 06:49PM

Purchased a sewing machine motor off @#$%& it runs at 7000rpm it has a footswitch and a 5/8 pulley on the motor now whats the average rpm on a rod wrapping machine?and what size pulley do I need to step up to to get the rpms I need for power wrapping.

thanx steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sewing motor
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 07:19PM

Steve,
The lower the maximum rpm the more resolution you will have or the finer control you will have with the foot pedal. I would not make the maximum rpm more than about 500 rpm. To get the size of pulley that you will need just divide the 7000rpm of the motor by the rpm that you want the wrapper to have and then multiply that number by the 5/8" of the pulley that is on the motor. In other words the ratio of the motor rpm and the wrapper rpm will be the inverse of the ratio of the two pulleys. At a wrapper rpm of 500 you will want a pulley that is 14 times larger than the 5/8" pulley on the motor or about 8 3/4", a wrapper rpm of 400 will require a pulley that is about 11" and for a wrapper rpm of 300 you will need a pulley that is about 14 1/2".

Posted by: Steve Smotherman (---.fuse.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:27PM

any ideas on where I can get a 14inch lightweight pulley?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.sta.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:29PM

If your motor has a foot control to allow for variable speed you can put a stop mechanism on it to keep it from turning 7000 rpm and you would not have to have as large a pulley. Kind of like putting a governor on a go cart motor. You could do that by drilling a hole in the base of the peddle (Being careful not to hit any wires) between the base and peddle. them mount a bolt to it with a nut on each side of the metal of the base to lock it in place. You want the bolt so that it is pointing up toward the peddle, so that then the peddle is pressed it is stopped by the bolt. Then thread the bolt up or down until you determine which is the best speed for you.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:46PM

Steve,
Several of the vendors on the right that sell the Batson or Pac Bay wrappers will also have or can get parts. I think that the pulley on those wrappers is about 6" which would result in your wrapper having a max. speed of about 600 rpm. You could also probably get a chuck from them.
You could use some sort of mechanical limit on the foot pedal as Steve Gardner is suggesting. That would certainly be the simplist but you will not have much torque and very limited control, a very small amount of movement of the foot pedal will result in a large change in speed.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:03PM

I bought a "Cabrillo" variable power control which I also found on @#$%& and pluged my sewing motor into it
and pluged the power control into the wall. The power control has a dial setting for power output just like a
pac-bay power wrapper and a foot pedal already wired in. There are switches for on, off, pedal control, and
manuel full power. A very cool unit!! I mounted a plastic chuck mounted directly to the motor shaft (no pully)
and still had OK control via the pedal. Would work better with a headstock and pully though.

I may place it on the Buy/Sell page as I do not need it any longer. Maybe the motor as well.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster