I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

6 ft 6 2 wt
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.228.madbbs.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 05:20PM

Hello again im still looking at fly rod blank for my next rod and have became really overwelmed i want to build a 6 ft 6 2 wt 3 pc or 4 piece pac rod for small stream fishing trout im really likeing the forcast that I am in the prosses of now. I know they are a good blank for the money. but if you had to build one for yourself for these situations is that the blank you would pick also what reel seat would you use im thinking about a down locking cap and ring style with single footed guildes but im really stuck on the blank I love the action of my winston im6 rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6 ft 6 2 wt
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.eugn.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:06PM

Batson Rx6 662-4 would be right up there on the top of my list, at least until Dan Craft comes up with a new model in SigIII graphite :).

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Robert Box (---.adt.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 10:38AM

Rob,
Most of my summer fishing is on a 100cfs creek up in th emountains.
I built a Forecat 6'6"2pc 2wt several years ago, specifically for it.
I used the Jann's Netcraft all cork with 2 ring seat/handle kit.
It was one of those rods I took on every creek outing......until I built Dan Crafts SIG III 6'10" 3pc, 1wt.
Its a step up in castability and blank quality.
I have a Rio Pocketwater 1wt line and a SA Matery 2wt line for it. I usually throw the 1wt line, but have gone to the 2wt line in breezy conditions. The DC handles both lines easily.

After being able to fish both on the same day, IMO, Dan Crafts 1wt wins hands down.

I wouldnt hesitate to buy a DC blank again.
If cost is the main factor, go with the forecast blank.
If you want your fun factor on your streams to go to 11, get the DC 1wt.

RB

Posted by: Joe Hamel (---.madison.k12.wi.us)
Date: January 12, 2006 11:07AM

Check out the rainshadow RX7. I have one and I love it, great action, roll casts nicely. I fish alot of small brush lined creeks in Wisconsin and Michigan and its wonderful. I would recommend it over the RX6.

Joe

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.rpsa.ricoh.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 12:32PM

I have built both the Rx6 6'6" 2wt, 4pc and the Dan Craft 1wt,3pc. The DC 1 is way more fun to cast and catch fish with its tremendous action and its compatibility with very light tippets. I use a 2wt line on mine and is a joy to fish, especially in small creeks/streams in meadows when the wind is down. The RX6 is a more versatile fly rod. I use a 2wt,3wt or 4wt line depending on the required casting distance and the wind conditions. This is a great rod because it packs nicely and is versatile. If you like light line fishing go with the DC1. If you need versatility, go with the RX6. The DC 1 is more expensive than the RX6 (but an unbelievable low price for a 1wt). I wouldn't recommend a downlocking reel seat for either rod unless you are using a 2oz reel like a Forbes or Sage 3100, it won't balance properly. I use a dual slip ring configuration on both of these rods which allows me to adjust the balance point depending on the reel I am using. An uplocking reel seat with a slip ring and hidden hood would also help to balance the rod/reel.

Russ

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.155.madbbs.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 01:41PM

interesting Russ what reel seat would you recomed with dual rings for either rods i m stillleaning twords the Rx6 but the dancraft is looking pretty interesting to at this point maybe i will just build then both.....

Posted by: Don Davis (199.173.225.---)
Date: January 12, 2006 05:39PM

I have built both and greatly prefer the Dan Craft ONE, unless packability is a factor. The cap and ring is perfect. Cortland store has an inexpensive NS set.

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.90.madbbs.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 06:20PM

I think at 6 ft 6 inches even the 3 piece is pacable enongh for me i like the light rods but im not wanting to get to light. what are your experiances with hook setting with the 2 rods i hear that it gets hard to set the hook with the lighter rods I never had any troubles with my winston Im6s but i have heard of people have problems?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster