I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Different Light, different color thread
Posted by: Billy Vivona (67.72.26.---)
Date: January 11, 2006 08:55AM

One of the most frustrating things is finishing a rod and taking it out into teh sun, only to realize the color that the thread looked in your shop, basement, garage, or closet - is totally different than when you take the rod into the sun. This past week I took my headstock & 4' of bed + a support up into my living room where I have regular light bulbs, as opposed to the Flourescent bulbs I have in my shop. I completed a very nice looking wrap with 4 shades of REd, and it looked HOT. I CP'd it, it slightly darkened, after it dried the colors came back to the color is was supposed to be. I'm happy.

I take the rod into the shop to get a coat of epoxy. Geez, how'd the wrap get so DARK? I went from liking the wrap a lot, to not liking it one bit. I'm sure once I take it out into the sun, it will change colors again, so I'm gonna wait to slice it off until I see how it looks in teh sun with epoxy.

Sorry, just venting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Different Light, different color thread
Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.exis.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:03AM

Billy, You have to much time on your hands. Jesse

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:19AM

Billy,
Go get a small "goose neck" or "swing-away" light one of those that either clamp onto a bench or have a stand - around $15.00 at Circuit City then put a 60 watt "natural light" bulb in it - they have a blue tint when you see them on the shelf. My experience is that these are as close to sunlight as I've seen in incandescent light bulbs - and way better than the yellow cast from flouros

Posted by: Kenneth Prager (---.nas15.washington1.dc.us.da.qwest.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:26AM

Billy,
IMHO Get a portable Ott light or a knockoff with white light bulb. Very true color to outside.
Regards,
Ken

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:31AM

Billy,

What type of thread are you using? The metallic and/or holographic thread are know to reflect differences due to the refraction of the light. Also, with sun light you get a full spectra of white light, where as fluorescent and incandescent bulbs do not have the same spectra as the sun. (Flourescent tubes have alot more blue/UV, incandescts have more yellow) If you are using regular nylon thread with two or three coats of CP I am surprised at you comment.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Ralph Tomaccio (---.bos.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 10:38AM

As a commercial photographer, I'm quite familiar with colors of light and how it affects the colors of what I photograph. What you're experiencing is quite common.

Regular light bulbs have a reddish/orange color compared to daylight with a color temperature of around 2800 degrees Kelvin. Regular fluorescents typically have a cyan/green color. The best lamps to use that can match daylight are full spectrum daylight balanced fluorescents that say in the specs that they have a color temperature of 5500K to 5900K, which is what mid-day sunny sky daylight measures.

Hear is a link that offers table and floor lamps, and bulbs and tubes with these specs:

[www.fullspectrumsolutions.com]

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 11, 2006 11:57AM

ralph's quite right. i'm always explaining to people when they ask (gladly so :-) why i'm velcro'ing a small colored gel to the head of my little canon speedlites when i conduct a quick enviromental portrait indoors with mixed lighting. yellow light from incandescent lamps inside, green flourescent light from a prominent solitary flourescent fixture in the room. i get headaches when there's the additional blue light from daylight streaming in from a window and i have to mix all three! just glad there isn't the fourth purple of sodium vapor.... ;-)

back when i perused their paper catalog, lightimpressionsdirect.com offered light balancing sleeves to slip over flourescent light tubes to balance the odd color shift inherent with those lights. the sleeves were nearly clear, wit the correct color tint to balance out the color cast. i don't see them offered now but the product must exist somewhere. just an option although it would seem easier just to buy color corrected tubes.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Allen Forsdyke (---.server.ntli.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 02:20PM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..
I thoughtthe weather was always good in america.... move your bench outside... benifits are Pure natural light... No offensive smells from expoxy.. Off cuts of thread blow into the neighbors yard the list is endless
downside it gets dark and might rain but worth thinking about

Always the joker

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 12, 2006 06:41PM

Don't get too frustrated and fall out with a case of the real "reds" - if you slice something off the next color you see may be blood!

Gon Fishn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster