I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cobia Rod Help
Posted by: Bob Wilson (66.243.134.---)
Date: January 09, 2006 11:01PM

I would like info on building a Cobia spinning rod. All I know that these rods look a little like a surf rod 8/9ft long, 20/30# line, fast action, 2 to 4 oz live or jig head bait, large boat guides size ? 30/50/70, Penn 706 reel. I am a experianced amature builder (fly rods). I need a plan. thanks for any help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cobia Rod Help
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 11:23PM

Personal favorite: Pacific Bay SP70MH with either the Pac Bay Channel Lock reel seat or the American Tackle graphite/aluminium hood reel seat (either with gold hoods); American Tackle gunsmoke frame / gold ring guides and a gimbal. Set up with a Shimano 3500B (baitrunner) or Penn Captiva CLL (baitrunner) it makes a spinning rod that you can either toss baits/jigs with or live line small sea trout or croaker on. Hook up and they're a lot of fun fighting the fish. The blank has a fast taper but is a "moderate action" (ie: forgiving on the final turn at boatside)

Posted by: John Blair (---.rgv.res.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 04:22AM

Thanks Ken, I have built a couple lately but I wanted to change blanks. I will order that set up tonite.

Big John
Rio Hondo, Texas
Blessed are those who can give without remembering and take without forgetting

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 08:10AM

My favorite is the Rainshadow SW 967. Plain ole' fuji graphite reel seat, cork tape butt, cork grip, double foot hardaloys and you got a fishing machine! Perfect with a 4000 size spinning reel loaded with braid and a 3oz bucktail on the other end. Striper, drum, cobia, it's great for them all.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 10, 2006 08:48AM

I have done a lot of fishing for cobia. My largest to date is an 83 pounder. These are really tough fish, as you no doubt already know, but around these parts we don't use surf type rods for them. Where are you fishing and from a boat or shore? A longer rod is only going to aid the fish, not the fisherman. If you don't need the length for casting purposes, you'll be better off going with something shorter.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.39.152.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 09:00AM

Tom's right. At that weight you want a shorter rod to give the fisherman the advantage. Even a 50 pounder.

Try a search of the Internet on that fish and see what other people use, you will come up with a lot of sites Here is one [www.fish4fun.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2006 09:31AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.cttel.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 12:34PM

I would go with the 4500 Baitrunner or a Penn 5500 size reel, just in case you get a 30lb plus bruiser! Ed

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.201.26.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 12:47PM

I have seen that I think the Florida record was a little over 100 pounds ??

Posted by: Clyde Roberts (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 03:21PM

The 8 foot rod gives you better casting range from the boat. I've got two guides out of Hatteras that use these exclusively for sight casting to drum/cobia. This rod fights a fish extremely well, no doubt a 7' rod may be better, but the trade off on the long range casts you sometimes need to reach spooky fish is worth it. And a 4000 size Shimano or Daiwa spinning reel with 20# braid will do the trick. Now for bait fishing, we use much stouter tackle, 30# line on a daiwa sl30sh with a 7' or 6'6" composite rod with lots of backbone.

Posted by: Bob Wilson (66.243.134.---)
Date: January 11, 2006 02:02PM

Thanks everyone for the info. We fish in Destin FL , Cobia start to run in april, live lineing bait and sight fishing. The sight fishing is a ball, the fish run along the shore near sandbars. A long rod that can cast a long way but is very strong is a must. One good cast may boat a trophy and tasty supper. FL record is around 142#. Min size 33, most fish are 15 to 100 lbs.. Hours of boredom minutes of excitement.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an3.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 11, 2006 03:09PM

Wow That's a nice fish

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2006 08:57AM

I would be very tempted to steer you towards one of the more stout Hot Shot blanks. The Loomis HS932 was a personal favorite some years ago but I don't know if they make it any more. I used to trim an inch or two off the tip and had a very fast action, very stout rod for the biggest cobia. It would easily cast up to 1 and half ounces a long, long way.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster