I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ugly Stick Blank
Posted by: John Solenski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:18PM

I am new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a couple of questions and would appreciate if any someone could provide response. I build all my rods and use them for salt water commercial fishing. I have built form many of the well known blanks however the best that I have found were the Ugly Stick blanks. Most rods make it through 2 - 3 fishing seasons and break at the same location.

1. Why do all the blanks break at about 15 to 18 inches above the fore grip? All rods are splined correctly I bieleve. Is it beacuse this is where the rod has all it's power or backbone?

2. I would like to find the following blank but Ugly stick no longer provides blanks.
Can someone suggest where I could possibly find these. I have tried some of the larger suppliers with no success.

Cast/Spin Blank # UU69-5
Length - 69"
Line 10 - 17#
Butt .560
Tip 6

3. Can someone suggest an equivalent tough rod. I fish for fish which weight anywhere from 1 to 5 pounds. Yes, I know that the abvoe rod is somewhat light but the light action catches more fish. I looked at Gator but they seem not to offer a rod which is similar. 6 foot and about .6" butt and 6 tip seems to work well.

Thanks to all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ugly Stick Blank
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:50PM

Could be technique.Is there a guide wrapped at this point.???It may be too tight.What type of fishing,boat?Land?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2006 06:24AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 08:00PM

I think I've got three or four of your Ugly Stick blanks at the shop. Several other brands too depending on the action you're after. Drop me a note at the address below and I'll get back to you from the shop tomorrow.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.186.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:07PM

Check this out
[www.customtackle.com]

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 12:18AM

Bill,

Their web site hasn't been updated in a year or two. They list things that haven't even been made in a few years and don't list a lot of stuff that they carry. Don't go by the web site, you have to call Bob!

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:22AM

John,

As to why all the blanks break in the same place?

Unless there is some kind of trama to the blank, almost all rods 'normally' will fail under an overload just in front of the fore grip.

Sounds like where your rods are contacting the rail maybe? Or, maybe someone is grasping the rod above the fore grip for extra 'leverage'?

Ugly Sticks are hard to beat for durability.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 07:33AM

John , give the Forecast SPG blanks a good look . We sell to several rodbuilders that use this blank for what you are doing . We have them on our web site Fishsticks4u.com , and we are also on the sponsor list . If you have any questions please call 804-746-9711 , or 804 966-7577. Robert

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.197.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 08:02AM

Mike

He should up date. If I am looking for some thing it would cost me dearly to make so many calls to find what people have. Why have a site then ?????

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 10:53AM

Bill,

Exactly my point!

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 11:02AM

I thought that I heard someone recently say Ugly Stick blanks would soon be re-introduced to the custom market. Was this an 'Ugly' rumor or is there any fact to it?

Jay

If at first you don't succeed...try epoxy

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.nj-01.cvx.algx.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 11:07AM

Guess your going to have to make some phone calls to find out if any one carries them ???

Posted by: Dean Pertot (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 12:30PM

Dear John:

We have a small quantity of the UU69-5's in stock. Give us a call at
866-489-2046, or you can order them directly from our website at
www.donartrods.com.

Thanks,

Dean Pertot
Donart, Inc.

Posted by: John Solenski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 09:34PM

Fred,

I was suprised as the number of responses in regard to my qestions and what a great forum!

In response to your questions:

I fish from my Carolina Dory which I built in '92 for bottom fishing mostly stripers, fluke, black sea bass & scup.

I am not sure what is meant by your response "technic." and having a guide wrapped at this point.
My guides are Fuji casting guides sanded smooth under the feet (no sharpness or burs) then under wrapped with A thread then overwrap with A. Double coated with Flex coat. I do use the new fishing lines with essentially no stretch.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 10:32PM

By technique I meen the way the rod is fished and the fish are fought.I`m in no way inferring that the way you fish or fight fish is responsible for the breakage just raising the idea that different technics can effect rod durability.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2006 06:23AM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 10, 2006 10:51AM

BATSON's FORECAST
-SPG- "E-Glass Spinning & Casting Rod Blanks"
Looking for a soft-tip & durable
5'9" E-glass rod blank, 10-17# Line Rating.
[www.fishsticks4u.com]

Part # ... Color ... Length ... Pcs ... Line Wt. ... Lure Wt. ...
Butt ... Tip ... Action ... Power ... Blank Wt ... Price ... (~$10-12)

SPG722 Gloss Black 6'0" 1 6-12lb. 1/8-3/8oz.
0.447 5.5 Mod Lt 1.70oz. $9.44-Add

SPG723 Gloss Black 6'0" 1 8-15lb. 1/8-1/2oz.
0.495 5.5 Mod Med 1.80oz. $10.20-Add

SPG783 Gloss Black 6' 6" 1 8-15lb. 1/8-5/8oz.
0.518 6.0 Mod Med 2.50oz. $10.48-Add

SPG784 Gloss Black 6' 6" 1 10-17lb. 1/8-3/4oz.
0.549 6.0 Mod Med-Hvy 3.20oz. $11.28-Add

SPG785 Gloss Black 6' 6" 1 12-20lb. 1/4-1oz.
0.558 6.5 Mod Hvy 3.40oz. $12.52-Add

Robert Tignor <[email protected]>
www.Fishsticks4u.com
Phone: (804) 746-9711, or (804) 966-7577

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster