I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Spacing on IM6 6' ft 6" 2-wt Blank
Posted by: Iwan Jones (---.ny5030.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 01:15PM

Anyone have some guide spacing measurements for this blank ?

It is an IM6 kit rod bought from Hook & Hackle.

First guide I placed 4" behind the tip top.
Stripping guide I placed 2 inch above arms reach according to Tom's book.

I did a static deflection test with the other guides but since this is my first rod I would like so comparison measurements from other builders to see if I am in the right ballpark with my numbers.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Spacing on IM6 6' ft 6" 2-wt Blank
Posted by: Tim Hough (71.224.102.---)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:17PM

Many manufacturers & suppliers publish spacing charts. Check them out and compare the spacing & guide recommendations for the rod you are building. Use the one you think fits your rod best & do a deflection test to tweek it.

Good Luck,
Tim

Posted by: Rob Holland (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 06:57PM

Iwan:

I have built a 6' 6" 2 wt on the Amtack Matrix blank (ERN 2.08) from Hook & Hackle. When I did the static placement I found the guides needed to be a little closer together to get rid of the flat spots. Mt first guide was 3 3/4" from the tip. I ended up with 8 guides plus the stripper and still the line bend wasn't as smooth as I like. I assume the 2 wt is so flexible that more guides are needed to help the line follow the curve. That was by far the lightest line weight rod I have built or own, so have nothing to compare it to.

Hope this helps!

Later,
Rob

Posted by: Russ Miller (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 01:55AM

I have made many Forecast 6'6" 2wt, 4pc fly rods. Here is the spacing I use:

4" - 8mm stripper
9" - #3
15" - #3
21" - #2
28" - #2
35.5" - #1
45" - #1

Hope this helps,
Russ

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster