I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

refillable fountain pens
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.38.madbbs.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:06AM

Im looking for a good source of fine tiped refillable fountain pens anybody know were I can fine one I have been looking but most im finding are disposable....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: refillable fountain pens
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:17AM

Rob, I just looked on @#$%& .... Tons of them

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.38.madbbs.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:19PM

thanks thats a ton of pens and its hard to tell if I can refill them with my own ink but thanks for the info .

Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.communicomm.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 04:16PM

Rob: I don't know where you live, but many big-city Malls have pen stores. Also, I have purchased on the internet and all come with cartridges AND the filler tube. Just do a search for "fountain pens" and you should get plenty of internet sites. Bob

Posted by: Jan Podsiedlik (---.3web.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:12PM

Rob, I collect fountain pens and play a little with calligraphy so if you post what you intend to use the pen for then I can suggest a specific model you should be looking for. Fountain pens are not tools, but fine instruments. They often have very specialized applications and can be tuned to fit the needs of the user - just like custom built rods.

Jan

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.114.madbbs.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 06:28AM

im going to use it for lettering my blanks with modle numbers and mnmes stuff like that thanks.....

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:33PM

As Jan said, most fountain pens are fine instruments. They require ink specially developed for them, NOT the lettering ink that you would use on a rod. Be very careful about the pen and ink that you select, as you could ruin a fine pen by using the wrong ink.

Jim

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.149.madbbs.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 09:04PM

I plan to use Winsor & Newton Calligraphy Inks then spay ti with fix a tiff to look the ink in I havent done this before but i have been told that it will work i just need to find someting with a fine tip

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 09:27PM

Rob,
I think what you're considering will work ok - but you'd be better off visiting a craft store like "Michaels" and looking at SpeedBall inks and calligraphy or "dip" pens. Better yet check the fine and medium tip felt permanent markers (not roller balls) in the same section of the store - They come in lots of colors and are much easier to control the flow of ink from. I like them better than gel pens for writing in basic colors (black, blue, yellow, white).

Date: January 09, 2006 10:12PM

Fountain pen inks are dye based. A dye dissolves completely in water producing a very well flowing ink which will unfortunately fade when exposed to daylight. For rod building we should choose inks which will not fade over time, and this means using pigmented inks. Pigments are solid particles, in many cases finely powdered minerals, and they will clog up the feed of most fountain pens. If that wasn't enough, some of the newer inks are nothing more than a thin acrylic paint. I have left one of these new inks in a pen for maybe five days. Even though the ink was labelled as being suitable for use in a fountain pen, it jelled in the feed and was very difficult to clean out.

The only pens which are designed to work with pigmented inks are Rapidograph type technical pens, but even these pens should ideally be emptied and cleaned at the end of each work session. Some thicker inks, especially metallics, may not work well in these pens.

I have a few different technical pens, but for labelling rods I very much prefer to use dip pens. I think they are easier to use and much easier to clean.

Now don't get me wrong, I still think that you should buy yourself a nice fountain pen, a Sheaffer, Parker, Waterman or maybe one of the nice sporty Italian imports, but use it on paper only. Your handwriting will likely improve significantly.

Jan

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.93.40.madbbs.com)
Date: January 10, 2006 04:21PM

sounds like you pretty knowedgeable jan what would you recomend?

Date: January 11, 2006 02:14AM

Well, the inks that we are talking about will spread more on the blank than they will on paper so it is best to use a dip pen nib with as fine a point as practical. A decent art supplies store should have Speedball C-6 nibs which will work pretty good. These nibs have a brass ink reservoir on them which you can bend to regulate the ink flow. You should probably start experimenting with this nib. I think that inks are largely a matter of personal preference. Pick up a bottle of Windsor & Newton Calligraphy Ink and a bottle of FW Acrylic Artists Ink and see which one you like better. I prefer the FW ink which does not flow as well as Windsor & Newton, but produces a narrower, more opaque line - at least in the colours I've tried. Createx airbrush paints work well too, including their Auto-Air paints.

My personal nib of choice is a vintage "falcon" type nib. They were made by different makers, but they were all large, fine pointed nibs with fairly flexible tips. These nibs were quite common and can still be easily found on @#$%&. I use a rubber band to strap a feed from a cheap fountain pen underneath the nib. The feed stores a good amount of ink so I don't have to dip the pen too frequently. Also, moving the feed towards the tip of the nib will increase the ink flow, moving it back will decrease the flow.

One more tip. Factory new nibs are protected from corrosion by a layer of oil or varnish which has to be removed before use. This layer repels water so it interferes with the ink flow. The easiest way to do it is to dunk the nib in alcohol. In the past, the nib was usually flamed with a match.

Jan

Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.57.madbbs.com)
Date: January 11, 2006 06:18AM

god i love this board there is so much good information for the newbe thanks so much for your time that was great info.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2006 06:20AM by Rob Culver.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster