I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Smaller glass holding jars
Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:30AM

I have a small (but it's getting real organized with homemade equipment, much better lighting and more effiecient arranging of furniture and such) work room. I am looking for some small, tight fitting screw lid jars for putting working portions of several of the various chemials I use quite often.. Any one have some ideas what and where on this? Thanks Steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Smaller glass holding jars
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.riogrd01.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 05:35AM

Try Baby food jars

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 09:04AM

I have laquer thinner in the smaller rod bond containers. No problems.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:01AM

Steve,

Hit the local crafts shop.

In the Air Brush section and in the 'paint and glue' section you should find screw lid small glass bottles in one and four ounce sizes.

Air tight, new so no worries about contamination (always wash them well first).

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:08AM

Hobby shops carry small containers in various sizes....testing labaratories have tons of 40ml glass vials that work great for small batches of finish, acetone, alcohol, etc...

Posted by: steve parks (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 02:24PM

Another thing to think about is the canisters that 35mm film come in. They work pretty good.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.clis.com.136.174.12.in-addr.arpa)
Date: January 08, 2006 02:40PM

Baby food jars or air brush jars are good. They are clear and you are able to see the contents (handy when used for storage of dry goods like guides, winding checks, screw, nuts & bolts, etc.) When storing dry goods you can even attach them to the underside of a cabinet or over hang to save space...much like the under cabinet microwaves and coffee pots in the kitchen. Simply screw straight through the lids into the underside of a cabinet or wherever else you are putting them. Then you can just screw the jars right on. They stay neatly out of the way and the clear jars reveal their contents.

Jay

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 01:16AM

"working portions of several of the various chemials I use quite often"

Can I ask what these several chemicals that you're using for rod building could possibly be?

I use two besides finishes and adhesives; rubbing alcohol and acetone. I leave them in their original containers.

If you do put chemicals in other than their original containers, be sure to label them well (something COULD happen to you or you might not be around and someone else can get into these chemicals).

Make sure the container is adequate for the chemical. Putting acetone or laquer thinners in containers made of some plastics isn't going to work real well, they'll eat right thru them-and you might not be there when it starts leaking all over the place.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 04:01AM

Randy I have very little space in my rod building nook downstairs. I have re-arranged some things and it's getting better and hopefully so am I due in large part to the tips, techniques and teachings I have gleaned off this forum from you experienced guys. The chemicals I'm using at various times that are currently in containers I find too large are:
* Citrus Strip ... use at times for cleaning epoxy residue from old old blanks I'm stripping (works great)
* Alcohol ... mine is in a rather large plastic container :-) ( not a Corona bottle)
* Varathane Spar Urethane... use for tacking down some of my feather in-lay work
* Thomson Water Seal ... use for staining/sealing some of my cork grip work (using some of your advice and I now can do some foam in-lay :-) )
All the other standard finish, epoxies, CP, Rod Bond I have in the small bottles that are very convenient.
The small glass jars with a smooth, tight lid would be ideal. The Citrus Strip and Alcohol are already in a plastic bottle so a small plastic container would surely be alright. But the Spar Urethene and Water Seal are in metal cans. They I worry about putting in small plastic. I am gointg to go out tomorrow and check some of the suggestions. I just completed guide wraps last night on a 1 wt Dan Craft 3 piece. Smallest, finer work that I have ever done! I have about 25 hours in this rod. I am very slow. I tried several new to me more advanced build techniques. Turned my own cork/foam/burl handle by hand on a homemade mandrel press. Fun! Did a static test for guide placement. I did some light color under-paint work where ever Golderod nylon A was going to go do directly over the dark blank. I did much more intricate feather in-lays on the butt and each of the two ferules. I did small trim wrap into the guide wrap on every one. Did many of them over and greatly improved my technique through so much trial and error. I plan to finish it with Andy Dear's Thread Master. Waiting for a little bit warmer day down in the dungeon. Would like to get a decent digital camera and some basic knowledge on how to plug the pictures into the commuter to send to the forum. One thing at a time. Anyway thanks for your help and I look forward to meeting so many of you guys in NC. Thanks Steve

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:10PM

Sounds like a plan, Steve. You're getting organized, doing things trial and error (what better way to learn?), and learning a lot of different things. Dang, this is fun, isn't it!!??!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an1.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:23PM

Steve
Try a search of the net on maybe glass containers or some thing similar and see what you come up with. Maybe a store near you has some thing on the net
Some of the foods you may eat have nice jars that you may just have to make a better gasket for like mayonnaise

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:44PM

Kerr / Mason Jelly Jars maybe??

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster