I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim wrap help
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:24AM

Every time I apply the first coat of finish my trim wraps have little rough spots. They are really tiny so I don't think I can cut them off. I don't know what causes this. Whats the best way to sand this area? What grit is to be used. Its almost like the first overlap and the pull through just don't want to lay down. I use Toms continuous wrap method and I like it. They look great until the finish. If I could just get through this my rods would look much nicer. Thanks for any insight.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim wrap help
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:06AM

Tom,
Sounds like you either are not getting the tag ends cut off cleanly or maybe you are getting fuzzies.
Any tiny bit of thread sticking up that you don't see before you apply the finish will result in that effect
after the finish has set.
Solutions: 1) use a new sharp razor blade (some builders prefer the double edge type as they are thinner)
and pull up tightly when you cut them off. ( the tension causes the end to pull under the wrap)
2) burnish the wrap well after to insure burried ends.
3) look very closely for small hairs of thread that may not have gotton cut clean or for what ever
reason is sticking up and if you see any of these fuzzies or a tag end not burried and too short
to cut try burnishing again and then flame the wrap very quickly and carefully with a lighter or
alcohol flame. ( must be a clean flame no soot) The flame will melt the fuzzies and they will
or should disappear!

When you have those little tiny bumps after the finish is set you can just cut them close with a razor or sand
them down with an emory board or similar and then apply another coat of finish.
Easy fix happens all the time dont sweat it. Some threads are more prone to this trouble than others. I have
the most trouble with metallics myself.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Fred Crum (66.6.80.---)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:42AM

Tom;
like Ray said about using a flame, hold the rod UNDER the flame, not on top. This avoids the dreadded soot problem he spoke of. Also you might try not using your regulay thread tensioning device for trim wraps, may be causing you problems also, ie fraying.

Ray, what are you doing up this time of night, I thought I was the only idot working graves!

Fred Crum
Dixon, Ca.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 10:20AM

A bit more burnishing before the finish maybe?

Burrs still there? I like a small emory board and lightly touch it up with a thin coat over the whole wrap after.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Leon Mack (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:21PM

Tom: I'm still getting more than I want of the same thing. I have seen some improvement based on advice from others on this site and the Doc Ski DVD. If you can take a look at that DVD he shows how to burnish the thread in a way to sort-of pull the tag end under the wrap a little bit. I have seen some improvement in just getting down closer and at a greater magnification to actually watch the cut and apply it in a more careful and meticulous way. I like to get enough magnification on the small wraps to see the individual A-size threads. I like the small alcohol flame thrower for just brushing the thread with a quick flame too. After the first coat of FC light I have found that I can usually shave off the bad part with a carefully applied sharp blade. The emory board works well too. Good luck. I'm looking forward to hearing what other methods you might find that work well.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 09:22PM

Tom,

I had the same trouble, what I do is really easy and works 100% of the time:

Allow 1st coat of epoxy to set up, find the "burr's" and sand them down with a tiny piece of 600-1500 grit wraped around the tip of a popsicle stick (the larger flat side of the stick)... (sandpaper and all dipped in water).

After de-burring wipe down with a wet paper towel to remove any sanding leftovers on each area/wrap AS YOU GO, don't allow the sanding leftovers to dry (it can make the sanding leftovers harder to remove if you do allow it to dry). Re-coat with 2nd coat of epoxy. Done. Perfect everytime.

It sounds like a task, but really only takes 5 minutes for the entire rod, .....it's simple really.

DR

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:21PM

Thanks for all the replies. I have work to do! Duane, do you use 600 or 1500 grit, or anywere inbetween? Thanks Tom.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2006 06:55PM

Small nibs: 1500

1500 most of the time, I'll only use corser if the situation needs it.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster