I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

flocking cork tape
Posted by: Scott Lewis (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:49PM

I understand that in addition to cork you can flock any number of grip materials including cork tape. Here is my question...One of my most common repairs as a rodbuilder is replacing cork tape handles because they degrade over time. Can anyone speak of the durability of a cork tape handle that has been flocked? Will the cork tape last longer under a layer of flock? I would hate to have my flocked grips wear out only because of the degradation of the underlying cork tape. By the way, if you haven't flocked, you must flock!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: flocking cork tape
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:09AM

Good question! I will follow this thread. I would guess that a good flocking would protect and seal.
But Im just guessing here.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.68.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:28AM

I had the same question too ..... I plan on talking with Bill Stevens or Tom at the show to find out . Let's wait and see if there is an answer here . A lot of guys like the smaller Dia of grip with the cork tape , I think the flock will just make it a lot more comforable , durability would be a bonus also . John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 08, 2006 09:23AM

Anything that would tear the tape before flocking, will tear it after flocking. The flock itself isn't likely to be hurt, but it doesn't make the tape underneath any more durable. It would surely protect it from the elements - wind, water, slime, etc., but not from something like the sharp edge of a sand spike.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 09:30AM

Take a look at the following picture and decide if you think the "foam" under this thin layer of tape is a good substrate for a "space age technology" upgrade to a top quality custom rod. No telling where all of this will end up when the Asian importers start "knocking off" flocked grips.

In your original question on repairs to a rod with this stuff on it - I think I would offer electrical tape as a cost effective repair with an optional more expensive one using Duct Tape. If a descrimination rod buyer purchased a rod with this stuff on it in the first place he will probably opt for the electrical tape repair due to its lower price!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2006 09:44AM by Bill Stevens.

Date: January 08, 2006 10:35AM

Bill,
I am referring to a different type of cork tape, one commonly used on surf rod handles. It is a rubberized product and the problem with it is that it tends to dry out and crack over time. Repair is not a problem; just replace the grip. My question was about flocking over cork tape. Thanks for the reply though.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:00AM

I'm willing to try most anything! I have a surf rod that I made for myself some time ago that could use a "kick up" and I have a (Backodered) flocking kit coming my way. What I'm a bit uncertain about is how to accomdate the normally longer wraps of cork tape inside the commercially available flocking tube. Would most any cardboard tube suffice? I was thinking of the long cardboard shipping tubes that rod blanks sometimes arrive in.....

Posted by: Will Whitaker (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:43AM

How about PVC pipe?

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 03:43PM

Ken you have finally done it! These post are so far over my head that I am now spinning in orbit. Scott mentioned repairing a cork tape and I jumped to the conclusion I knew exactly what he was talking about. Cork tape to me is the stuff like the picture I posted and I have never seen a surf rod. Sorry Scott I meant well. I would think for a repair the adhesive and flock would be better than a worn tape that is coming loose.

Ken -Now then you have me looking for a long tube that will accomodate the tape for flocking. The flocking ain't done inside the tube!! I have no clue as to what you are talking about and this stuff is flocking up my little brain. Come to the Flocking Workshop in Charlotte and lets all get flocked up together

Scott: Go to the My Control Center at the top of this board and confirm your email address where we can communicate with you via email. If I can get our phone number we can talk on the phone about your adhesive problem.

Bill Stevens

Date: January 08, 2006 05:59PM

Thanks, Bill. My email should be viewable now but if not it is smL768@optonline.net
I seem to have figured out the adhesive problem (waiting another 24 hours solved it)
I really appreciate your assistance, and I hope I can help you out someday.

Scott

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 07:00PM

Bill,
I guess we're all a little flocking crazy. I will be at your seminar, scribbling wildly

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster