I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Texalium tube material
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 08:56PM

Has anyone seen the brand new woven tube material (similar to the matrix tube grips) called Texalium? I understand that they are now available and in 4 cool colors

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texalium tube material
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:22PM

Mike -
My oh my.... If you're interested in texalium ... you'll really be intrigued by this site : [www.hexcel.com]
and their section on prepeg (stuff fishing rod blanks are made from) but these folks "kick it up a notch" in prepeg!

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:36PM

Hockey and tennis equipment have made use of it for a few years now. Looks cool. Expect to see several companies making handle tubes out of if for fishing rods this year. Two dealers have told me that they could get it. Supposed to be some in Charlotte.

You can also buy it from "robot supply" stores. No kidding. It's being used by the college kids that design and build robots!! It's not expensive when bought that way. You can get tubes, sheets, angles and squares. Whatever you want. My next door neighbor's kid fools with it. Let me see if I can get the name of his supplier.

Posted by: Danny Bundy (---.69-93-60.reverse.theplanet.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:46PM

It's a woven reinforcement material. Kilwell rods out of New Zealand has been using it as an outer wrap on the butts of their rods. Bicycle companies are starting to use it too. I don't think the modulus is as high as some other graphites and it is supplied in a weave but it does look nice. I had a bicycle friend give me some tubes of it. They're a little large to do much with as rod handles but I'll think of something to do with it eventually.

I'd like to hear about the robot supply shop. Since there is no taper involved in a handle tube, I wonder if a guy could buy a sheet, wrap it around a steel mandrel, cook it in an old oven and make his own handle tubes. Might be fun.

Tom, how about an article on how to do this? If the robot building dudes can do it then surely rod builders can.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:56PM

Lamiglass already has it on the market and the pic I saw really looks cool!!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2006 10:00PM

Yes, you can make your own tubes, but I really don't think it's going to be cost effective compared to commercially available tubing. Too much trial and error before you get the process down to the point where you have a structurally sound tube in a size and weight that would be suitable for rod building uses. I'm not trying to discourage you, just saying that if what you want is the end product, you'd probably be better off just buying tubing from commercial sources.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 07, 2006 10:14PM

Ken - Thanks for this reference. Went to: HEXCEL.com // Products // PrePreg Technology. Downloaded *.PDF. Skimmed thru its 34 pages. Very interesting. Thx, -CMH+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 10:17PM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 10:36PM

Yes Ken,
Thanks! That .pdf file is a bit over my head but I saved it for later reference.
Very cool info.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 10:38PM

Why not fish with a piece of the space shuttle?? Cool ! LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 08, 2006 01:27AM

The Texalium rods put out by Kilwell in New Zealand look great and cost a big penny or two. I have seen a couple. They look mighty nice and are supposed to be as strong as..........sorry can't think of anything. They have been advertised in Australia for at least the last 2 or 3 years. I can see plenty of scope for sections made up from this material. By the way, I have only seen the silver look.

Date: January 08, 2006 10:25AM

Well, nothing from Bill Stevens,Emory Harry, Todd Vivian...

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 11:11AM

I'm sure Todd Vivian will jump in eventually it's available from Lamiglas.

Date: January 08, 2006 11:24AM

Jim,
I saw photos elsewhere of these tubes - beautiful silver, blue, green, red. I also asked Todd if they're thinking about butt caps, giimbels and hosels from this material. Besides tubes this stuff apparently casts/molds well.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 08, 2006 01:17PM

"Butt caps, gimbals and hosels from this material"...?...
[www.HEXCEL.com // Products // PrePreg Technology // *.PDF]

I'm guessing such small shapes-parts have too many small-radius right-angles and small diameter conformities / curvature for such a material. That pre-preg cloth is designed to cover large areas, not to be bent into something the size of a shot glass, IMO. (And it would probably cost ~$15 for a gimbal. Who's gonna pay that much? ... With all due respect, I'm not holding my breath, ...) ... IMO, ... -Cliff Hall+++

Where's Mark Gibson when you need him?
Mark Gibson is a Polymer Chemist + Material Scientist-Engineer
- this stuff is right up his alley, ...

Posted by: Mark Gibson (---.cpinternet.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 08:54PM

I saw some of the Texalium at a tech conference last spring and it was neat looking stuff. The "alium" stems from the aluminum coated fibers they're using.

Danny is right about the modulus though and the materials they showed last year were all built on woven glass. So it would be hard for that to compete with carbon fiber as far as stiffness to weight goes. They have a number of Rec applications, skis and snowboards, and a some Auto applications as well. The main purpose of this material is for its aesthetic appeal. The optical properties make the bling factor very high. Texalium has a holographic or prismatic nature that pictures really don't do justice.

mark

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.lamiglas.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:36PM

Hey Guys,
This is a pretty interesting material. I'm not totally sure yet of all the uses from our end. When I was first exposed to it I immediately thought handle tubing. I have been experimenting with quite a few different applications though.
We have finally gotten a pre-pregger that can supply it to us at a price that makes it affordable to use. We have just completed our first 1000 feet of material and are beginning on another this week. These tubes are currently available in four colors and in the original aluminum / silver color. The cost should be similar to the 2x2 twill handle tubes currently available. They are available in a 0.874" ID X 0.940" OD and 0.980" ID X 1.05" OD.
This tubing is on order from several distributors and is being shipped this week so delivery should be quick.

We will definitely have large quantities of this material available for show and sale at Charlotte. I'll be experimenting with several other colors so that may be the first place to get them.
I'll also add a few for door prizes.

There should be some pictures posted here shortly.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.r09.tncphl.infoave.net)
Date: January 09, 2006 03:11PM

For those of you interested in obtaining the new Texalium Tubing, just contact us. We have all the colors ordered in both diameters of the tubing. We will be selling it in full 60" tubes or in 10", 12" and 14" lengths. You can contact us directly by phone at 931-684-6164 or you can shoot us an e-mail message to -- customtackle@united.net for ordering. Our shipment from Lamiglas will be arriving in about a week and I suspect it is going to be a very hot selling addition to the custom market.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: January 09, 2006 04:47PM

I have posted photo's of this new tubing in the photo area under handles. To be honest though the photo's don't do them justice.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Date: January 09, 2006 05:34PM

Thanks ('Git 'er on') Todd!

Date: January 09, 2006 05:38PM

I don't think you guys will ever let me live that one down......

I'm going to be a good boy this year.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster