I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sig V
Posted by: Robert Miller (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 05:57PM

How are Dan's Sig V rods for up close delicate presentation of dries and nymphs, particulary the 8'9" model?.....just currious

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sig V
Posted by: Denis Labrecque (---.bp.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 06:24PM

They are IMHO great rods, but a little stiff for up close fishing. I built the 6wt (8'9") and used it most of last year. When I dropped to 4X and 5X tippets I would loose lost of fish due to break off (close up). When throwing streamers or when I could get a little line out it was deadly (by far the best I've seen). Call and talk with Dan himself. Every time I've called him he's always been willing to talk and give his own suggestions. He's a great guy to talk with, and the best person to answer your questions.

Good luck.

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.spokanemontessori.org)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:44PM

The 4wt is amazing close or far. My favorite all time fly rod for most of my trout fishing.
Mike

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:46PM

i have the 8'-4" 3/4 wt Sig V. i use it as my go-to rod almost all the time. it's light. i fish it with a rio selective trout WF4F and typically fish streams and rivers for trout in my central sierra of california. usually dry flies sizes 12-20, and i just started nymphing last month. it allows me to cast pretty far, well, for me that is. and it's also great at medium distances. but up close within 20 feet or so, it starts to get sloppy. or at least i start to get sloppy. i wonder if a 5 wt for up close would be best

dan apparently is in the midst of releasing a new line of blanks called the FTL. a light line version of the popular FT series. i hope to try one of those out soon. maybe it's what you're looking for?

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 12:42AM

I love the 8'4 4 wt. I adore it, in fact.

Up close and personal...or out there (for a 4 wt anyway) it does it all. Roll casts very nicely.

I fish it with dries and beadheads.

Haven't yet found out what it doesn't do.

Keith

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: January 08, 2006 08:57AM

The 8ft9 4wt SIG V isn't stiff at all.It's definitely got plenty of power throughout it for a 4wt,and lightning fast recovery,but the tip is definitely soft enough for close in work.I've heard nothing but good things about the 8ft4 3/4 as well.The 5wt and 6wt SIG V blanks are much stiffer in the tip section through.

Posted by: James Mello (---.click-network.com)
Date: January 09, 2006 01:03AM

You may also want to talk to Dan. He's got a new line of rods coming out called the FT light... It may be more in line with what you are looking for.

-- Cheers
-- James

Posted by: Jim Benenson (164.64.146.---)
Date: January 09, 2006 02:46PM

A while back, I spoke to Dan personally and asked him what blank he would recommend for Western nymphing with an indicator most of the time, dry fly when nymphing didn't work. He recommended without hesitation the Sig V 8'9" 4 wt, which was what I was thinking of getting anyway. I built one for myself, but am always lending it to people who fall in love with it. I will be building a lot of rods using this blank for a local fly shop as well as my own customers. They are great blanks. => All Dan's blanks are great, as are his components. You can't go wrong buying from him! <= On top of that, he is a very nice guy.

Jim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster