I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

question on rod building show
Posted by: Rob Mackey (---.ord.scnet.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:14PM

I received my first copy of Rodmaker mag earlier this week. It's really good and was more than I was expecting. I found this forum from an ad in the mag and after checking it out I can only say it's also very good and more than I would have expected. So now I'm reading the ads and stuff in the mag about the rod builders show in Charlotte. It sounds too good to be true. I have no reason to doubt it after what I've seen in the mag and here so far but I really wonder is it all that it's advertised as being or is this just advertising hype and stuff? Can any of you who have been there really say that it's all it's said to be in the ads? I just don't want to travel halfway across the country only to be disappointed. I've got $27 in the magazine subscription and nothing invested here but flying all the way to North Carolina represents a pretty significant investment for me [Colorado] and I just wouldn't want to get all the way there and find I'm through the exhbits and seminars in a half day or something.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: question on rod building show
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:24PM

You can't imagine how great it is, Imagine over 1,000 builders getting together, about 50 vendors, 30 seminar/workshops and being able to see/feel just about every item for rodbuilding that you can imagine. Colorado is quite away, but their will be builders from Europe to Australia there. It is the premier event for anyone interested in rodbuilding!! I come from Michigan and start saving as soon as the show is over for the following year.

If you can possibly make it, do so. Most stay at the Westin which is right across the street from the show. It fills upp VERY fast, so make reservations right away. They have special show rate, so mention the show!

For tons of info, click on the link at the top of the left hand sponsors column. Also, just click on the SEARCH button at the top of the message list, type in Charlotte and select ALL DATES.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.123.---)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:35PM

Rob, There are shows and seminars that advertise all sorts of things and say they're going to have plenty of dealers and manufacturers and then you'd get there and find maybe 75 guys and just 4 or 5 companies represented. IMO that would be false advertising and a real let down for anyone traveling any real distance.

But I drove from upstate NY with my wife to Charlotte last year based on what I'd heard. I was looking forward to it and hoping it was all it had been advertised as being. IMO it was even better than what the ads said it would be. I really wasn't prepared for just how much stuff was there and how many great seminars and demos were going on. IMO you wouldn't be disappointed in the Charlotte show but I don't know exactly what you're expecting. All I can tell you is that everything you see in the official ads for the Charlotte show are as true as the day is long. Everything you see on the show website linked to the upper left in the sponsor column is trustworthy information. I don't think anyone who actually attended the show last year would refute any of it.

Come on out and enjoy yourself. No matter what, it is clearly the biggest and best of all the different rod builder shows and seminars so you'd at least be going to the "granddaddy" of them all! Besides maybe you'll win the Renzetti lathe at the reception. That's worth what, $750 or $800?? That should make anybody's trip worthwhile!

Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:09PM

Whats at The Rodbuilding Convention:

My First hand experience-

All the major suppliers of rod building supplies (Batson, ST.Croix, Flex Coat, etc)

All the major rod building distributors (Custom Tackle and others)

All the "Experts" (though they don't consider themselves experts) who are willing to answer questions

Excellent deals on blanks/components

Andy Dears "trash can" of blanks (exceptional deals)

Hands on demonstartions of ALL steps required to build a rod

Blanks/components you can pick up, feel, and look at before you buy so you know exactly what you are getting

Ability to compare blanks/components to each other so you can make an informed purchase

Products that are new (CTS blanks, Threadmaster, Flexcoat arbors last year)

Ability to meet the people you order supplies from

Most of the power wrapping lathes so you can compare and tinker with so you buy one that works for you

Ability to talk to the product reps so you can find solutions/improvement/gimicks to improve their qualities

and A great cajun restaruant that is over by Bass Pro Shops. Although the fare is probably not as good as the stuff the Swampland boys are used to

In my opinion you would be cheating yourself out of an oppotunity that would help your rodbuilding the most. You should go at least once. As for me I will be driving down again this year!!!

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.dyn.sprint-hsd.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:29PM

I've been to the first two Charlotte events and have to say both were truly outstanding, with each better than the previous. If you're interested in building rods, you won't find a more complete rodbuilding resourse, in my opinion. First class for viewing/handling vendors products and first class for great continuous education on all aspects of rod building, to say nothing of the fantastic camaraderie and it's associated learning advantages.

If you enjoy building rods, you'll not find anything close to the Charlotte National Rodbuilding Show - outstanding from top to bottom.

Stan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 12:46AM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Rich Pomponio (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:37AM

Rob, It is well worth yhe trip. This will be my second one and the best advice I can give you is make sure you do not forget your check book.

Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.ij.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 03:22PM

I\'ll put it this way. There is another rod building show that takes place near my home. It\'s about an hour\'s drive. I don\'t waste my time on it. Instead I travel the 12 hours to Charlotte because it\'s just that much better all around. There is so much to see and do there at the show that you\'ll have trouble fitting it all in just two days.

I personally consider the Charlotte rod builders show to be the Mecca for custom rod builders. If you build custom rods you must plan to make a pilgramige to this event at least once during your life. You won\'t regret it no matter how far you have to travel.

Posted by: David von Doehren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 04:20PM

This show with all the seminars will keep you busy all day every day, you learn, touch, compare, use, see, take photos, fill a book with notes & names.
And no need to advertise, because we are all asking about next years show as soon as this years' is over, and the vendors are ready to reseve space for next year!!!!!!
I fly down from NY.
HEY SHAWN MOORE, where are you in NY, want to share driving next year 2007 ???????? talk to you at Charlotte

Dave von Doehren
PRRODS......If man built it , man can fix it.and if man built it man can break it !

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 07:14PM

They don't call this event the BIG one for nothing! My only question is when people have been building rods for half a century or something, why has something like this only come along lately? Whatever the reason I'm just glad it's being done. We needed something like this. Great show, great people, great education, great deals, and just a great time.

Posted by: Shawn Moore (85.195.119.---)
Date: January 07, 2006 07:43PM

I'm kinda near Baldwinsville, which is kinda near North Syracuse which is kinda near Syracuse. It's a long drive and the wife is going again this year. She spent last year shopping at that huge outlet mall in Concord north of Charlotte where the Bass Pro Store is. She doesn't mind me spending money as long as she gets to spend an equal amount. If she doesn't go back next year I'll be looking for a driving partner for sure. It's a long way to do all in one day. Last year we stopped overnight just to break up the drive a bit. It's nice to have someone else in the car.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster