I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can I turn a 1pc casting rod into a 2 pc?
Posted by: Jon Weatherhead (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 08:36PM

I am going to attempt to build up a rod for myself. I will be using a 6'6" St. Croix or G Loomis blank. I can find 2pc spinning blanks however I am wanting a casting one, and unfortunately those only come in 1pc. So would it be possible/advisable to try to make the rod into a 2pc?

In case your wondering I need a 2 pc because I strap it to the top tube of my mountain bike when riding out to some of the local lakes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can I turn a 1pc casting rod into a 2 pc?
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.fairfaxcounty.gov)
Date: January 06, 2006 08:45PM

You can build a casting rod out of a blank listed as a "spinning" blank it won't affect the finished rod performance wise. When buying a blank look at the specs (weight, line #, lure weight, etc) and then decide what you want to build the rod for. I have used many "casting" blanks to make spinning rods and I prefer to use "spinning" blanks (especially St.Croix's) for casting rods. Hope this helps.

Dan Grulke

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 08:58PM

Jon,

Just to add my thoughts to Dans.

Rememberthat the blank has no clue what 'kind' (spinning/casting/fly/etc...) of rod you choose to build on it.

The blank manufacturers list them by 'type' as an aid to the buyers based on their market researce i.e; they have learned that most of the folks who buy a particular blank make a spinning rod from it, so they list it as a 'spinning' blank. It's not 'wrong' and it won't 'damage', injure, or destroy the blank, or otherwise be a 'bad thing' if you build the rod into something entirely different.

So, just pick a two piece blank that fits your requirements, and you'll be just fine.

You can, of course, if you want to, turn a one piece blank into a two piece, but it does require some time, effort, and skills to do it right without degrading the performance too much. Not worth the trouble unless you 'have' to do it, in my NTBHO.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Jim Smith (---.aep.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:35PM

You could build it as a one piece and let my youngest son use it for a couple of hours. He'll find some way to bring you back a two piece rod:)

Jim Smith

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 12:22AM

You can use a multi-piece fly blank by using 16 as your denominator. For example, an 8 wt. blank = 8/16 = 1/2 ounce as the maximum casting weight. Compare this to the casting blank you liked to go to a lighter or heavier fly blank to suit you. Then you can choose almost the exact action you want the rod to have, building a truely unique fishing tool/toy. A 9 ft. 4 pc. blank makes a 6 ft. 9in. 3 pc. by discarding the butt section. If you still want a 6 ft. 6 in. rod remove 3 in. from the (new) rod butt. Warning, your fishing buddies will likely insist you build them one. LOL. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 12:52AM

Remember, if you cut a one piece blank and make a 2 piece out of it, it will void the manufacturers warrenty.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Jon Weatherhead (---.woh.res.rr.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 01:43AM

Thanks guys, yeah I thought maybe there was some subtle difference in spinning and casting blanks. I think I'll just look for a spinning blank that fits my needs. Thanks again for the heads up.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 10:01AM

If you want to play at making multi piece rods, get some cheap blanks to cut up.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 12:59PM

If your looking for faster actioned blanks try one of the two piece spin/jig blanks.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 02:49PM

I will make an attempt to put you in contact with a number of the "bassers" I build for. They do not have any problems at all in turning a one piece blank into one with two or more pieces!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.an2.nyc41.da.uu.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 05:24PM

Yea Bill, but do they go back together ???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster