I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide height trouble, need some help
Posted by: Keith Neidhart (---.hot.res.rr.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 06:43PM

Bear with me if this is an obvious one... this is my first rod! I have taped on the guides and done some static adjustments... I like the guide placements with the rod under load. What has me confused is the height of one guide out of whack with the rest. I have YSG 25, 16, 12, 8, LSG 7, 7, 7, tt. When I pull a string from the shaft of the reel to the intersect point, everything is perfectly aligned except the YSG 16, which sits more than 1/4 inch below the string. I first thought they sent the wrong guide or it was manufactured wrong but I don't know what the heights should be.

This is also my first try to link a photo here.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

What do I do now? I feel like there is something really obvious that I missed? Do they even make another guide taller than a YSG?

Thanks a million for any help!!

-keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide height trouble, need some help
Posted by: Tom Brown (---.wavecable.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 07:19PM

Hi Keith,

By looking at your picture it looks like you have two #16 guides? Unless the picture is deceptive. My guess is the guide is the wrong size.

Tom S. Brown

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 07:26PM

I agree with Tom. What is your guide spacing?? First guide looks a little close. What is rod type/size? Personally, I would try 25 12 10 7777 or 25 10 8 6666 with the 6's or 7's BLAG type (fly guide)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 07:27PM

Looking at the frame I`m fairly sure that the second guide is not a 16.Try moving the second guide a little forward and that should bring it to the bottom of the string.Dont know if you read this but this may help with the set up.[www.rodbuilding.org]

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 07:29PM by Fred Yarmolowicz.

Date: January 06, 2006 08:58PM

The angle of the picture makes the 12 and 16 look about the same. If I move the guide to the string, it would be only a couple inches from the next guide. I just took some more measurements and think I may have figured it out. The height of the guide, measured from the rod blank (bottom of foot) to the top of the frame is as follows... 25 - 2", 16 - 1.25", 12 - 1"

Since the guides were packed in a small zip lock bag, with hand written labels, I'm thinking they were picked from loose bins and there must have been a LVSG mixed in. Would I be correct in assuming a LVSG would look just like a YSG only shorter? I'm thinking this is what happened because I also have a YSG 8j and YSG 8Lj that are identical, according to my calipers, from the same shipment. (both in little baggies with hand written ID)

I guess I'll get on the phone in the morning with the supplier and see if I can get these exchanged. What a drag... I was hoping to get to my guides set and wrapped this weekend.

Mike, you asked for measurements, not sure exactly which you need, so here are about all of them!

6'6" blank, butt cap to spool 10", Spool to butt guide 22.5"

TT 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
0" 4.75" 10" 15.5" 21" 27.25" 35.25" 45.5"

Thanks again!!

-Keith

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:59PM

I think you have the right guides. These measurements are from the foot to the inside of the ring farthest from the foot:
YSG25 1-7/8", YSG16 1-1/4", and YSG12 31/32" and they correspond to what you have.

I normally choke the line quicker than you are trying to do . . . a rod I'm wrapping now has (measured from spool lip) YSG25 21-1/2", YSG12 29-1/4", YSG8L 35-3/4" and then 5 LSG7 guides out to the tip (7' rod).

Date: January 06, 2006 11:51PM

Mike, Do you have a height measurement for a YSG 20?

My concern is that to keep the current guide frames in line with the string, I'll have the 2nd and 3rd guides about 3 inches apart. Since I have already determined that the spacing is good per the static distribution testing, where does that leave me? Does this tell me I should have bought a YSG 20 as my butt guide instead of a 25? The 20 seems too small to begin with, but if it is not to small, and if I used a 20 where the 25 is now, would that leave the 3rd guide (12) being too tall or would that straighten it all out?

I was hoping to start with an "easy" rod and save the challenging ones for when I have some experience! So much for my plan!

Thanks again for the help!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.lsil.com)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:34AM

Keith,
You have good static distribution, but did you get your guide sizes from setting up as per the concept guide system primer in the library? You do the concept test first than you static distribute. That's the only way I see how you ended up with that low guide, is if your doing it backwards.

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 07, 2006 11:13AM

Hiya, Keith - These first two resources will help you size most Y-frame or Vee-frame Fuji spinning guides, if the frame is not stamped for size. You can check for yourself, to see if you have received in your order the ring size and guide style that you requested from your Supplier. (Some mix-ups in the stock bins or while picking dozens of orders each day are "inevitable", but I can't tell if that concern is involved in your case.) And one day, when your own inventory gets large enough to reach a state of disorder, these Tables may help you re-sort the guides. Get a tip-top gauge for re-sorting those. -CMH+++

FUJI RING HEIGHTS:
[www.fujitackle.com]

FUJI RING OD-ID-Width:
from the drop-down menu link
GENERAL INFORMATION
“RING SIZE CHART”
[www.anglersresource.net]

NOTICE that FUJI:
Y-Frame RING-HT = ~ 2.0 x RING-OD
V-Frame RING-HT = ~ 1.5 x RING-OD

FUJI CATALOG, hard-copy:
GENERAL INFORMATION
“CATALOG REQUEST”

At the risk of being accused of heresy, for your reference, check out Fuji's layout. When you have determined a better layout by your work, you'll get a sense of confidence that helps with your next spinning rod.
FUJI GUIDE LAYOUT:
GENERAL INFORMATION
“GUIDE PLACEMENT CHART”

This is the info you want to down-load to your hard-drive. For practical purposes, consider any of the Fuji Y-frame or Vee-frame guides of whatever frame metal (or color) or ceramic ring material to have the same HEIGHT OFF THE BLANK as its analogous counterpart in another series of Fuji guides. The RING OD-ID-Widths will vary slightly with ceramic material for a given ring-flange type, but not much. A "Table of Guide Masses (Weights)" is unknown to me, which is why a nice top-loading scale (+/- 10 mg) is on my Wish List. -Cliff Hall+++

KEITH - RBO "SEARCH" function can often provide fast answers:
Fuji Guides ... Posted by: Richard O'Mara ... Jan. 4, 2006
[www.rodbuilding.org] ... I am looking for a site that has most Fuji rod guides. What I am looking for is rod layouts, plus height of guide specifications. -ROM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2006 12:10PM by Cliff Hall.

Date: January 08, 2006 12:32PM

Well, according to the heights listed in Cliff's link, a YSG 20j would be about 8mm taller than a 16j... that would solve my straight line problem.

But would that create another problem of choking the line too much from the #2 guide to the #3 guide... 20j down to a 12j?

Thanks for all the help!

-keith

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 08, 2006 01:32PM

I very often go from a 25 to a 10 or 12 then to an 8 an spinning rods (even on muskie rods). Don't get too hung up on ring sizes. Go with the smallest guide that will do the job!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster