I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trim bands on multi piece rod ferrules?
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:48PM

I'm building a four piece fly rod. I've got two section where the guide wrap is going to be less than an inch from the ferrule wrap. I'm doing a metallic blue with two small silver bands in the middle of the wrap (not trim bands, I guess. That would be on the end). So my question is do I put the same bands in the ferrule wraps? Do I do the ferrule wraps in the same metallic blue or go like with a black? The blank is dark blue - Rainshadow blank.

Thanks for the advice and opinions.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trim bands on multi piece rod ferrules?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 05:58PM

I would just move the guide a 1/2" or so and wrap it right over the ferrule. Many builders prefer to place a guide on the ferrule whenever possible.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 06:34PM

Do the ferule reinforcement wraps how ever you like. Sometimes I match the guide wrap colors and
pattern and sometimes I will use a color that matches the color of the blank as closely as possible so
as to make the ferule wraps invisible or as close to that as I can anyway.
I also agree with Mike, try and place a guide right at the ferule and kill two birds with one stone.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 06:43PM

place the guide on the ferrule. simplifies things and i believe it is a stronger set up.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 07:27PM

I agree with Raymond's First two suggestions. I like invisible, or nearly, ferrule wraps. I do not place the guide on the ferrule unless the placement process puts it there. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:11PM

Aaron,

I will always move the guide onto the ferrule if it hits within an inch or so in the upper half and two inches in the lower on four and five piece rods. To keep the spacings looking right, you can slightly adjust the guides above/below it without dong any harm.

The guide wrtap become the ferrule wrap, saving the weight of that much unneeded thread and epoxy. I know it's not much, but less weight equals better performance, especially in the upper portions of a fly rod.

If you do it this way, you'll have two of the three required ferrule wraps done with the guides. You can decide it you want to make the third one an 'invisible' wrap by matching the blank color, or making it 'match' the guide wraps. Up to you. No right or wrong here, both will look fine. (I'd go with the invisible wrap in this instance, but I do that anyway with my ferrule wraps regardless).

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ma.dl.cox.net)
Date: January 07, 2006 09:32PM

I have to agree with the guys who posted previously. Anytime your static distribution test will let you, put a guide on the ferrule. You get two wraps for the price of one, and you don't have to worry about how to do a stand-alone ferrule wrap.

When I do have to do a stand-along ferrule wrap, I do one of two things. I either make it invisible--thread color to melt into the blank color--or, I use it as a place to do a feather inlay (that matches the feather inlay on the butt section).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster