I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I think im satified at this point
Posted by: Rob Culver (---.39.92.117.madbbs.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:54AM

[outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com] here is a like to a pic of some of my first wraps im open for cunstructive critisim if you would...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I think im satified at this point
Posted by: Robert crabtree (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:03AM

there is nothing wrong with that Rob thread is feading over the guide no gaps nice for the first one.... if your going to ad trims to it i would run your main wrap a little shorter unless you like it that way good job though tight wraps ............

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:22AM

Your wrapping looks smooth and tight. Your thread transition from blank to guide foot appears to be a bit abrupt in the photo. If so the guide foot could be ground to a flatter taper during guide preparation. As Robert has stated the wrap is longer than necessary as the portion off the foot serves little practical purpose. Once there are enough wraps made to anchor the thread any excess just adds weight. I usually settle on 3 to 5 wraps before the transition on my rods but it is a matter of choice varying by builder. Keep up the good work!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Joe Preast (---.116.213.151.ip.alltel.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:25AM

I have a friend that has been building for a year now, his wraps still dont look that good. Really nice job for your first attempt. Keep it up!
HAGO!
Joe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.162.53.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 06, 2006 10:33AM

Nice wraps -- no trim ? LOL
A good tool that I like to measure wrap length is a compos. One of those " V " shaped tools with the small bolt to adjust it. Two pointy ends on it.

Date: January 06, 2006 10:34AM

I was kinda thinking the same thing about the guide foot also I do plan to do trim wraps on my next rod but this one im keeping as simple as i can.thanks for the input its great....

Date: January 06, 2006 10:36AM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice wraps -- no trim ? LOL
> A good tool that I like to measure wrap length is
> a compos. One of those " V " shaped tools with the
> small bolt to adjust it. Two pointy ends on it.

wow never thought of that maybe i can find my old drafting kit...

Posted by: Cliff Hall (---.dialup.ufl.edu)
Date: January 06, 2006 11:20AM

~$3-5: "Compass", "Calipers" or "Dividers"
~$10+: Micrometer, Slide-style (less expensive) or
~$??+: Micrometer, Screw-style (more $$; overkill for rod-building)
~$1-2: Ruler, 6-inch, (clear or metal) w/ Millimeters is plenty, IMO,
for measuring just the widths of guide wraps & guide rings.
SLIDE Micrometer is a must-have for rod blank OD and
other component OD-ID-W. Tip-top gauge, too. -CMH+++

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 11:26AM by Cliff Hall.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 12:19PM

Very nice tight, clean looking wrap!! I would do a lot more grinding on the guide foot though. Needs to be a very gradual taper [www.rodbuilding.org] How about posting the pic on this board so it will stay available??

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 01:00PM

Pretty much echo the others. Preparing the guide foot does two things 1. makes the transition smoother and easier and 2. is most likely an important component of reducing crack of the finish in that area.

Though the wrap is longer than needed, if weight is not an issue ie heavy SW gear, it can dress up the rod a bit.

You are doing just fine with the flat work. I agree with Mike you should post on the photo site and you can get comments and advice there too.

Date: January 06, 2006 01:45PM

[www.rodbuilding.org] well there you have it guys do you think I sould be conserend about the finish cracking maybe a should cut it off.....

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 02:29PM

It MIGHT crack but then it might not too. So it is basically up to you. If it is your rod and it cracks you can always re-do it then, and chock it up to experience(the great teacher) :)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2006 02:36PM by James(Doc) Labanowski.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 03:53PM

Rob, You're e-mail address is hidden so no one can e-mail you! I don't know if you saw my post on your photo but it looks like it's been automatically been removed because you didn't register and post with you full nmae (first and last) per the site rules. Repost as it was an excellant pic!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 06, 2006 05:03PM

[www.rodbuilding.org] that should take care of the email and pic....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster