I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rotissery as drying motor?
Posted by: Nathan Smith (---.qc.sympatico.ca)
Date: January 04, 2006 01:29PM

Hey guys

I have heard that you can use a rotissery motor for drying epoxy on rods... is this true? I have also heard that they dont spin quick enough

Nate

Just wondering

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rotissery as drying motor?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 02:12PM

A llt of people use them. There is no such thing as too slow for drying! Many people (including me) feel that you get a much better finish manually or very slow. I have dryers up to 40 rpm and if I use a motor at all it's a 3 rpm. Do a search here on dryer motors and select ALL DATES. You will get a ton of opinions

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: peter hagemeyer (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 02:48PM

Sure, I use the rotissary motor that came with m Jenn-Air grill. Runs about 3rpm and works great! I made a bracket to hold it, and attached a chuck to the square drive. This way I can still use it to cook if I want.

I see these kind of motors all the time at home depot or lowes at end of year clearance prices...

Posted by: Ross Eedy (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 03:46PM

When I first started building rods, I assumed that for a proper finish I would need a rod turner. My rotissary motor turned at 2 rpm. To speed this up (8rpm), I used a 2 1/2" leader spool mounted on the shaft to the motor. On a lower fixed shaft, I mounted a free turning thread spool. I only build fly rods, & the reel seat is always the last to be mounted. The blank sits between both spools connected by a rubber band to each. By changing the allignment of the motor to the rod, the rod will either pull in, or creep out. By checking it's operation before applying epoxy, I never had a problem with it failing. That said, I believe I get a much better finish turning by hand.

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 08:49PM

I build and sell small 4 rpm rod dryers on @#$%&. If you want you can email me at jgd1948@yahoo.com and I will give you the website for these 110/115 volt 4 rpm synchronous motors. I have been using them for some time now and am very pleased with the results. Gregg Davis

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 11:50PM

Yes, they work really well. I used one for a very long time and the only thing I didn't like was the noise.
Mine was not very quiet at all!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: J. Gregg Davis (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 05, 2006 07:07PM

Raymond I haven't had that problem at all the little motors seem to be really quiet. Gregg.Davis

Date: January 06, 2006 09:11PM

Hi Gregg,
Mine was made in the 60's I think. It was about 8"X6"X3", an oldy but a goody

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 06, 2006 09:37PM

Greg, Raymonds talking about a rotisserie motor, not the motors you are referring to (which are excellant, by the way).

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: January 06, 2006 09:41PM

Don't know if my new little motor came from Greg but I did buy it on @#$%& and it does work very
quietly and smooth. Came with a plastic chuck and connector too!

Raymond Adams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster