I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Charlotte logistics
Posted by: Greg Hileman (---.cessna.textron.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:13AM

You guys told me about the shuttle that will take you from the airport to downtown a couple of months ago. Is that something you have to reserve in advance, or does it run a regular route? I found one online that looked like you had to make reservations for, but was cheaper than cab fare.
BTW, I got my plane tickets yesterday and have had reservations at the Westin for quite a while. I will be there for sure. I'll be in sometime in the mid-afternoon on Friday, so if anyone else is going to be in early, let me know. Maybe we can get a small group together that evening for dinner or something. I have yet to meet anyone from the board in person, and can't wait to actually know someone with the same disease.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Charlotte logistics
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:16AM

I had to call for them after the plane landed. They didn't just 'arrive' every so often and grab and go.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:22AM

Cab is much more practical. The shuttle that was there two years ago was available out front of the terminal about every 20 minutes and did not require a phone call. Last year all that changed and you had to call to get a shuttle to pick up. The cab fare was a flat rate of $ 17.00. It is only about a 17 minute ride from the airport to the hotel. In the cab you will be able to get a geography lesson on Lagos.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:23AM

I think the Westin runs a shuttle out and back upon request. I don't think there's any charge. I guess I need to check on this. I will.

I would imagine that if you just go down to the lobby of the Westin around supper time you'll find a bunch of rod builders hanging around there. The Westin has a nice restaurant and there are plenty of other places to eat with just a few blocks of the hotel. Prices vary from mild to wild. Depends on what you want.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 09:31AM

Tom, last year I called the Westin from the airport and they said they didn't have a shuttle. Might be changed now, though.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 10:40AM

There were no downtown hotel shuttles at the airport last year. Evidently there was something going on between the tourist bureau, cabs and hotels. I even saw an airline crew in a taxi headed downtown! If they had some kind of problem last year maybe it is solved. It was really unusual for a city not to have shuttles headed downtown. Maybe the strangle hold on the catering extends over into the transportation. To have such a wonderful venue as the Convention Center and let a cab driver dictate policy is almost funny!

Gon Fishn

Date: January 04, 2006 10:43AM

I asked about the pickup when I made my reservations, and I don't remember the number, but they quoted me a pretty high price.

Date: January 04, 2006 10:45AM

I just checked my posting in the archives, and the Westin quoted me $60 each way.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 11:46AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2006 05:28AM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Randy Search (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 04, 2006 12:35PM

Greg,
I'll be flying in around 3:30 or so (weather permitting) on Friday so if you would like to split the transportation cost (cab, shuttle, etc.) let me know. Randy.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2006 12:59PM

Last year, I just walked out front at the terminal and the shuttles ran about every 15-20 minutes. If I remember right it was about $!0-$15 roundtrip and made the rounds of the hotels. You just had to give them a call a couple hours before you want to go back.

This was last year and may have changed

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 04, 2006 01:14PM

That seems to be the way it works. The airport operates them on a regular schedule about every 20 minutes. They leave the airport and make the rounds of the more prominent hotels in the downtown area of Charlotte. $10 is the price I was quoted, but the lady I spoke with wasn't 100% sure. It might be $15. Either way, that's pretty reasonable and if you only have to wait a maximum of 20 minutes between shuttles, that's not bad at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster