I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Repair to Fiberglass rod finish
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 09:23AM

Perhaps others may disagree with me, but as a relative newbie to rodbuilding, I think that almost as satisfying as looking at a completed custom rod is being able to do repairs that in the past had to be sent to the tackle shop. I know for me, understanding the construction of a rod has removed a lot of the mystery and confusion about the process, and has allowed me -- even with my lack of experience -- to do a better job on repairs than what I got before I started doing them myself.

Well, I do a better job most of the time, I guess. I was replacing a hook keeper on my heavy (6-16 oz) graphite surf rod, and while removing the old thread wrap, my swiss army knife slipped, and I gouged out a small piece of the finish. With all my surf rods, I use an underwrap of Size A thread and an overwrap of Size D thread, and my first thought was just to extend the underwrap to cover the gouge, but it's too far away, and the underwrap would have to be six inches to reach it (and that would look awful).

The size of the gouge is pretty small -- maybe an eighth of an inch wide by three-quarters of an inch long -- and is shallow enough that I'm not worried about the integrity of the rod (it looks like the only thing that was removed was about 1/64 inch of finish). As a result, I've thought of several options -- ignore it, use thread epoxy, use Perma Gloss -- but I thought I would turn to the collective wisdom of this board for the best suggestion.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Repair to Fiberglass rod finish
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:29PM

You may be able to tint some PermaGloss and put a drop in the gouge, hopefully coloring and filling it at the same time. Or... just make a little 1/2 to 1 inch trim wrap of some kind - put some thread inlays or something in it. It'll probably look like it was meant to be there.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster