I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting the epoxy over lettering REALLY smooth?
Posted by: Kevin Birznieks (---.228.204.86.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:39PM

I'm fininshing up my XP and I just can't get the epoxy over the lettering as smooth as I want it. It's just a little "uneven" in spots if it's in the right light. I could say it's smooth enough, but I'd like it like perfect. I read on here a while back about sanding epoxy, but I'm scared it will do more harm than good and I'm not sure I can get the Flex Coat Lite any better. I don't really want too much more epoxy on there anyway. It's a 3.5" section. Any tips?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting the epoxy over lettering REALLY smooth?
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:32AM

I think you want your brush strokes to go lengthwise, not bearing down enough to touch the blank. You can sand away as much as you want. It will look just great. You would be surprized to know how much sanding you would have to do to get down to the inscription. I had a big problem with sanding over an inscription but after I tried it I felt rather foolish. You will have to sand the whole area though. Spot sanding usually dosn't work. Have fun!

Date: January 03, 2006 12:36AM

How fine of a grit do you use? Does that really matter since you put another coat on it?

Date: January 03, 2006 12:45AM

I found a good post about it. Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:46AM

You want a fine grit. Maybe 220 or finer. And don't apply to much pressure. Just let the sandpaper do the work. You can clean the area with water while you are sanding to see how you are doing. Just relax.

Date: January 03, 2006 12:53AM

Serenity now...

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.brick101.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 06:45AM

Kevin,Also use a sanding block ,otherwise all you will do is scuff the surface and still have the waves.The block will take away thr high spots first.I`m sure the old posts suggegted this but I wanted to be sure.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 03, 2006 08:51AM

This will be fully covered in the Volume 9 #1 issue of RodMaker out in February.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 09:08AM

Lettering? Is this a waterslide decal? If so the edges on the things can initiate a rippling effect on the coat of finish. The thinner the finish and the thinner the coat the more it will effect the dimpling. When using LS I have to use care in sealing the decal edge before applying a coat of finish. During cure the finish will "pull" on the edges which will look like small dimples along the outside edge of the decal. Roger Seider with Flexcoat also advises to wait for about 5 or 6 minutes after initial mixing to apply finish to minimize the strange movement of curing finish. These dimples can be greatly minimized by the use of a brush stroke of Micro Sol from Decal Connection. The Micro Sol is a solvent/shrinking agent for the decal film. If you apply the Micro Sol a couple of times and let it dry each time you will have less problems with finish rippling. The sanding will work quite well but the Micro Sol will save you some time.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Kevin Birznieks (---.228.204.215.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 09:45AM

Thanks for all the good info, guys. I never had a problem with the actual Sage decal, but I'll keep the idea of waiting a few minutes in mind for next. I just ordered some of the micro mesh pads from Woodcraft.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster