I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thickened permagloss
Posted by: Jeff Graves (---.eastlink.ca)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:02PM

Hi All,

I just took the top off of my bottle of permagloss and there was a sealedover/hardened portion at the top of the bottle. I broke through it and the permagloss that hasn't hardened up is quite thick. Is this still good to use? Or would I be better off chucking it out and buying a new bottle? Is there a secret to keeping this stuff so it won't harden up on me when not in use?
as always any and all oppinions greatly appreciated

cheers
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thickened permagloss
Posted by: John Dow (---.245.155.181.Dial1.Stamford1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:08PM

Jeff , Permagloss was a tough thing to keep from hardening in the bottle for me 'till I started keeping it in the refridgerator in a Zip lock bag ( thanks to Bill B) . One thing you can do to prolong the life of a bottle is to pour what you need quickly and close the bottle (wipe the threads on the bottle ). As for your question , I have used it when it was slightly thick , but if you put too much on it will form micro-bubbles in the finish when it hardens ............. crap shoot wheather it will or not. Have fun , John

Got Fish ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:10PM

Toss it. Permagloss is really great stuff, but it has one aggravating quality due to it's make up - it's a moisture curing urethane and dries in the presence of moisture. Remove the cap and let air in and the process starts. Some guys pour in BBs or steel balls to take up space that would otherwise be occupied by air. Some guys keep theirs in a frost free refrigerator due to the low moisture content.

Here's what I do, on a tip from Ralph O'Quinn - get a little half pint paint can. Just the regular old fashioned metal paint cap with tap in metal lid. Down near the bottom of the can, punch a hole with a nail. Find a screw-eye that will twist in snugly in that hole you just punched. Insert it. Now pour your Permagloss into the can and tap the lid on - you'll never remove it from this point on.

Some Permagloss is going to leak out around the screw-eye initially. But it'll set up pretty fast. You won't lose much. Afterwards, whenever you want to use some, remove the screw-eye, hold a container under the hole and catch just as much PG as you think you'll need. Put the screw-eye back in and go about your business. Your PG will stay fresh as new, forever, in the can.

I use pint cans and just buy large bottles of PG and fill them up. I had some PG last nearly 4 years in one can and NC is pretty humid. If you use much of the stuff, or only use it occasionally, this is the way to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 10:11PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.79.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 10:17PM

When you get the stuff put it right in the fridge, even un-opened. Keeps for a long time.
Poor it into a cup and then wipe off the threads real good I use a paper towel

Your welcome John. I think you meant me ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2006 10:19PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:15PM

I use Permagloss regularly and fortunately live in an area of low humidity. Tom and Bill are giving good advice on preserving it and when it begins to thicken, "toss it", as Tom says. I will add one other consideration. While I use it regularly I only need minor amounts of it so I buy only the one ounce bottles and always keep one on hand unopened and fresh. Using it in this manner I can usually get through about 3/4 of my opened bottle before it starts to thicken.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:37PM

You store it in the fridge also, Stan? I haven't tried that, I guess. I do enough blanks with it that it's always gone... or nearly so before it thickens.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: January 02, 2006 11:46PM

No I don't take precaution so I don't open or purchase larger amounts. If I lived in a damper climate I'd have to mend my ways.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.012.dsl.qld.iprimus.net.au)
Date: January 02, 2006 11:48PM

I buy mine in the 1 fl oz bottles if there is any left over after the job I toss it. I discovered putting marbles etc into the permagloss to reduce the airspace left in the bottle only introduces moisture what sets it off curing in the bottle. If you do warm the marbles etc to release the moisture.

Date: January 03, 2006 08:49AM

Great minds find similar solutions!

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2006 08:54AM by Stan Grace.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.57.148.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 03, 2006 09:18AM

Try the fridge it works. Just don't wake up in the middle of the night and drink it ??

Posted by: Jim Reinhardt (206.8.175.---)
Date: January 03, 2006 12:02PM

Where do you get 1/2 pint paint cans?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: January 03, 2006 02:12PM

Hmmm; don't know about paint, but this ol' cowboy knows where to get half-pints... LOL!

Putter
Williston, ND

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster